What's new
What's new

Brush style 4th axis on brushless machine

ewlsey

Diamond
Is there a way to run an older brush style 4th axis with a brushless drive machine?

I have read that Haas could set the drive up either way when you buy the machine. Is there a field retrofit that can be done?

Answer: Yes, there is definitely a way for Haas to hook up a brushed 4th axis to a brushless machine.
I have a customer with 3 vintage VF1-s and 4 '08 and newer VF2-s.
They all use and swap the very same 5C and 6" indexers between all of them.

There is no external box, nor is it needed. The 4th axis drive card plugs onto the same bus as all the others, which card is dependent on what type of 4th axis you have.

i have a 2013 vf2 and so far ive run only the brand new 5c 4th. but we have a 1999 hrt 210 4th which is brush motor and to use it the hfo gave us what they actually call the "magic box" which interfaces between it and the machine. havent used it yet, but thats what the hfo said

The box that does not exist is:

4AXCB Conversion Box to convert brushless 4th-axis drive to brush
drive for use with Haas brush-type rotary tables; requires
brushless 4th-axis drive (sold separately)

Check with your Haas dealer, I believe it is right about $995.00.

I would imagine that it has the Brushless two cables in and the one brush cable out. Saw one on eBay once, but none there now.

Mike

Maybe this will help clarify some things. Or not, who knows!:D

Machines that are running BRUSH rotaries can have the BRUSHLESS servo drive just like the x,y, and z axis. However, there is a transformer assy bolted to the inside bottom of the electrical cabinet which converts everything to DC. On this machine you will have a single connector plug on the outside of the electrical cabinet for connecting the rotary.

Newer machines set up for BRUSHLESS rotaries will have 2 cable connectors on the outside of the cabinet and utilize the same BRUSHLESS servo amps inside to power the rotary.

Both types of machine setups will utilize the same/similar BRUSHLESS servo drive card.

To run a BRUSH rotary (1 plug) for a machine configured for BRUSHLESS (2 plugs) rotary, you must use the converter box that Machenit2 has detailed.

Machines that are running BRUSH rotaries can have the BRUSHLESS servo drive just like the x,y, and z axis. However, there is a transformer assy bolted to the inside bottom of the electrical cabinet which converts everything to DC. On this machine you will have a single connector plug on the outside of the electrical cabinet for connecting the rotary.

Newer machines set up for BRUSHLESS rotaries will have 2 cable connectors on the outside of the cabinet and utilize the same BRUSHLESS servo amps inside to power the rotary.

Both types of machine setups will utilize the same/similar BRUSHLESS servo drive card.

To run a BRUSH rotary (1 plug) for a machine configured for BRUSHLESS (2 plugs) rotary, you must use the converter box that Machenit2 has detailed.

:Ithankyou:

Ok, so I will stand corrected.

BUT!

What does it take to convert a BRUSHLESS machine with the CONVERTER BOX to use a BRUSHLESS rotary?

I have a customer with 7 VMC-s, 4 of them older along with 4 BRUSHED 4th axis indexers.
They also have 3 new machines, 2 of them have the single, BRUSH type plugs. Obviously through the converter box.

Their newest has the BRUSHLESS 2 outlet connection, and have an 8" rotary. That is the ONLY machine that can use this rotary!

So the question is: The converter box - however transparent it is by being inside the cabinet - is not just an add-on that one can plug in or unplug as needed to use
either type 4th axis on the machine?

Back