What's new
What's new

Buzzing from air filter/regulator on Super Mini Mill 2

Gabe Newell

Aluminum
After I've run for several hours, I get a buzzing sound from the bottom of the air filter/regulator on my mill. The air coming out seems very moist. I don't have a dehumidifier on my compressor.

The buzzing gets progressively louder. I have to turn the mill off (typically overnight) to get it to stop.

Any ideas?

The air coming out seems very moist. I don't have a dehumidifier on my compressor.

Any ideas?

Gabe,
Get yourself an air dryer for your shop. You're going to see problems with your tool clamping/unclamping. Not to rip on you, but I can't believe the number of guys who say they are having air related problems with their CNCs in shops with no dry air. SHEESH!! The cost of an air dryer is a spit in the bucket compared to machine repairs and downtime. If you have a compressor under 15CFM, a suitable dryer would be under $1000. Heck, I don't think I even paid $750 for mine. Just my two shiny pennies....

Have you tried something simple like draining the water out of your compressor tank?

I made a rinky dink dryer that seemed to work. I used 3/4 inch PVC pipe and ran a length up the wall as high as I could get it, then ran a line down almost to the floor. There I added a water trap with a bowl so I could see when it had water in it. Then I ran another line back op to the cieling and another one back down and attached the air lines there. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

Back