What's new
What's new

Bypassing door hold safety switch (new Mill)

litlerob1

Diamond
I think I can unscrew the blade type switch from the door and manually stick them in the receiver to bypass the "door hold". Is that correct?

It is annoying for me, but really I could probably live with it, if it's too much a pain to do. I have the Tech tell me it will work. But I have also heard on the inter-webs that it will not, that it is some sort of double safety thing. Is there a proximity sensor that works with the switch? I know has been discussed and jumper-ing the relays seems to be the consensus. (but I'm a dummy and prefer to keep my head out of electrical boxes)

Are there any problems with doing it? Other than it's a violation of the warranty, maybe?

Please don't post about setting 51, this is after that, on the newer machines 51 is not an option. Nothing personal just not worth the explanation.

Robert

I don't know haas but I have done this on several others with no ill effects.

A word to the wise. Put them back in or don't loose the screws. I did this and needed to undo it in a hurry and the screws were bastard and I didn't have them. Lol. I'm just saying...

Brent

Well, on the NG control there is more to deal with.
You cannot do a tool change with the door open, but, you cannot remove tool from the spindle with the doors closed.

So really the only recourse is to install a bypass switch ( toggle or push button) and mount it near the pendant as removing and reinstalling the metal key into the
interlock switch will become real old real fast.

Well, on the NG control there is more to deal with.
You cannot do a tool change with the door open, but, you cannot remove tool from the spindle with the doors closed.

So really the only recourse is to install a bypass switch ( toggle or push button) and mount it near the pendant as removing and reinstalling the metal key into the
interlock switch will become real old real fast.

This is what I wanted to hear.

So I assume there is no Setting for toolchange and or tool release, which sort of doesn't make sense. But I'll go with that assumption until I hear different. I would think a Haas tech needs to get around this from time to time. :D .......Haastech????

Seymore do you need to wire the toggle from the cabinet or can you just splice into the wiring up top? Also there are 2 switches can you wire the toggle signal together, so 1 switch 2 signals? If that makes sense, just trying to make it easier.

Thanks, Robert

This is what I wanted to hear.

So I assume there is no Setting for toolchange and or tool release, which sort of doesn't make sense. But I'll go with that assumption until I hear different. I would think a Haas tech needs to get around this from time to time. :D .......Haastech????

Well, Haas did put a service key switch on the pendant, but it's absolutely useless.
Don't know what they've intended with it, but they have not yet gotten around to make the control use it in any meaningful manner.

To me, the "service" key should do pretty much what the key on my Mori does.
If it's set to "setup", then everything functions in single-step mode, but tools index, can be removed or installed, spindle turns, chuck opens/closes ...
If it's in "run" mode, then all is locked unless doors are closed.
That makes sense to me.
The Haas version in it's current form however is a fucking joke.

( PM Sent BTW )

I agree, I think it will get enough complaints that it will ease up, but for now holy shit people. I mean I get it, but to a degree man!! Plus I'm disabled so climbing up there is not a realistic option for me, particularly more than once a day. If it were once in the morning I could probably live with it, but not more.

On machines that have two doors, I jump out one of the locks and leave the other unmodified. That way you get relatively easy access to the machine through the open door, and need only pop the other door open just slightly to load/unload.

But if you have only one door like a Minimill or DT/DM, you'll have to get creative. Same goes for lathes once the damn new control is added in the near future.

The service key used to have a purpose years ago, but they've gradually removed all its functionality to the point where it's only used when jump-edgefinding (or skim cutting on lathe I suppose) which is obviously worthless for the vast majority of people. Man I remember a time when the toolchanger's swing arm would automatically override itself to 25% when the doors were open. You know, like a nice useful machine. Those were the days...

Back