What's new
What's new

Carbide recommendations for my MVJNR12-3B tool

ksville

Aluminum
I am contouring barrels with VNMG 332 carbide in the above tool holder. Tool 1, roughing and tool 2 finishing. I am getting a really nice finish but tool 1 runs about 6 or 7 barrels and starts pushing more than cutting. My material is 4140 stress relieved (before boring and pulling the button through the barrel to create the riffling). I am running a feed of .009, taking .030 cut and the rpm is from 1500 on the .625 diameter to just over a 1000 on the larger end 1". I am using water soluble coolant. Any recommendations on the best cutting tool for roughing?
Thanks for reading
Ken

There is more than the shape of an insert to consider when selecting a tool. There is grade and coating designed for optimum cutting in specific materials and usually a selection of roughing, medium and finishing chip breaker geometry. Your rpms are not high enough to make any carbide perform at its optimum, so you might get reduced tool life due to that fact alone. Generally, too low SFM leads to built up edge on the tool, and the stick-on, break-off action of this phenomenon will pull the coating off the insert, making it rough and compromising the finishing capabilities designed into the insert.

Based on your info this is my plan B-my lathe Rpm is max at 2000, I will program this as the max, I will program a SFM at 400, I will continue with the DOC of .030" . My 35 degree profiling tool had a rad of .031" and I am not sure of the grade (really didn't want to say that, but it is true) the material has a Bhn of around 200 to 250 (that's where I came up with the SFM 400), I will get some kennemetal VNMG 332 KC935. I appreciate your information,
Ken

Back