What's new
What's new

DS-30SSY bar feed drops

jhaueter

Plastic
Looking for help with catching bar feed drops. We are running a part now that is leaving a 5-6" piece of waste material. The bar feeder just pushes this into the machine/conveyor. We moved the M37 up below the G105 so that the part catcher remains out during the bar feed, however it does this every cycle. Is there a way to write a macro so that this will only happen when the remaining bar length is less than the total required feed for another part? If so can you give me an example? My macro experience is very limited. This is the first lathe I have worked on, and the first Haas machine. Most of my experience is in vertical mills. Thank you in advance.

No macro knowledge here...but if all my bars where the same length and I wanted to do as you say-
I'd write a Sub program.

Loop it enough times to leave desired remnant.

Come out of the sub program- feed and catch drop.

Load new bar

Call up the sub

The Haas barfeeder doesn't measure the bar?

My LNS measures each bar and figures out how many parts it will yeild. The machine asks the barfeeder if it's ok to run another part. When it can't make anymore parts it loads a new bar and that pushes the remnant out.

The Haas barfeeder doesn't measure the bar?

My LNS measures each bar and figures out how many parts it will yeild. The machine asks the barfeeder if it's ok to run another part. When it can't make anymore parts it loads a new bar and that pushes the remnant out.

It does do that, although the control tells the barfeeder not asks if using the HAAS feeder, but you still have to dig the bar end out of the chip bin. I would also like to be able to catch that bar end when it is loading a new bar and not have to raise the catcher at each G105.

Sim, looping a sub is counter productive to using the supplied software which measures the bars individually rather than having to worry about each bar being exactly the same length.

No experience with HAAS lathes, but on my Okuma w/ barloader there are 2 parts to the barfeed program.

Part 1: running parts and catching each one.
Part 2: Machine sees end-of-bar and drops parts catcher, ejects rem, and loads new bar.

Maybe you're missing a parts catcher code in the eob section.

See pg 35 of the attached bar feeder manual for a list of all the bar feeder macro variables. https://diy.haascnc.com/sites/default/files/Locked/Manuals/Supplement/Barfeeder/English/96-8913B.pdf
The bar feeder does measure each bar length. You can poll #3110 (current bar length) and once it reaches a set length or below, then trigger the parts catcher. I am sure I could figure something out eventually, but perhaps others with quicker macro skills could come up with something to help you out.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
%
O500
G103 P1
IF[#3110LE[#3100 + #3102]]GOTO100
G103
G105

(your program here)

N200
M30

N100
M36
G105
G103
GOTO200
%

This is the macro to catch the drop. #3110 being bar left to feed, #3100 being part length plus cutt-off and #3102 being minimum clamp length. Haven't had a chance to prove this out yet but I figured I would throw it out there in case anyone else wanted to try it also.

The reason I don't want to collect remnants later is that they jam up in the conveyor between the belt and the cover plates. Also, with larger stock they tend to destroy the belt over time.

Back