What's new
What's new

Entering Rigid Tap unlock code

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, I have a problem.

Might be retarded and can't figure out something this simple but ...

How do you enable the Rigid Tap option?
I have the unlock code but I cannot enter the dammned thing!!!

About 6 months ago I had to reload the software in my MiniMill. It got corrupted during the battery change.

Anyhow, after the install ( actually a couple rev. worth of upgrade) all saved parameters and settings were properly reloaded.
Few weeks later, I got the 144 alarm. Had the code, entered it, all is well .... or so I thought.

Until now I did not need to tap, so I've never noticed that the Rigid Tap option also got disabled during the software load.

I have the 4 digit code
I turn off Parameter Lock
Get to the Rigid Tap option in Parameters
I type in the 4 digit code and hit ENTER

Nothing happens, the option remains at 0

What am I missing?
This is the code that came with the machine back in 2002, and it was working fine until the sw load.

Thanks

This happened to me sort of. In my case, the software was reloaded on the control, but it was not done correctly, and the serial number was not correct. It did not match the machine S/N. Thus, the code would not work.

Haas reloaded the software correctly and all was well. Check the S/N in the parameters.

Yupp, that just might be the case here too!!!

As I've mentioned, few weeks after the reload I had the Alarm144.
I've entered the release code just as it was written on the mach's docs.

After that, the serial number field got populated with not the real serial#, rather the code I've entered!

I did just try to re-enter the code or the serial, no avail.
It still shows the unlock code as the serial# and I've got dick for rigid tap.

Ok, since I am SOL until monday no matter what ....

I have the original settings backup on my PC.
I've looked at setting#26 in the file, and there the serial number shows correctly.

Can I reload them and hope to get back in business???

Sidenote: I hate friday nights!!!
The last time something like this happened was also on a friday, battery died on the NL, lost everything....
Of course, I was desperate for the machine then too!

Yep. I had to have Haas come out and do it. It tool them about 2 hours and 600 of my dollars and we were up and running.

OK

I did some lookin' into the subject a little....

Restoring the settings - as they are - is not taking because the serial numbers don't match.
I could make it "take" by editing the settings backup to match the serials, but I would be back in square one as that would also not allow me to enter the correct unlock code for the rigid tap.

What I am actually considering ( mind you, I am in a serious pickle .. ) is to re-initialize the control, just as if the software was freshly loaded.
I know how to back up the current system via RS232, and in fact done it to the settings....
I know I can restore all other files via serial as well. Did that too ....

Just asking if anyone had ever done a control re-init on their own?

I sort of know the steps and know what happens in the "guts" by doing so, just looking for some gotchas if anyone is aware of them....

I truly NEED this thing before monday!!!
Have the VF4 if all else fails, but .......

Thanks

I've turned ours on and off a few times as a demonstration, however it's been a year since then. I want to say that other then having the parameter lock off, doesn't the E-Stop have to be pressed? I could be thinking of other things being changed, but I seem to recall needing to have that pressed.

As far as I know, you just can enter the serial number after installing a new operating system. This will clear all remains.
I have done that once, but forgot everything about the exact steps what to do when and how.
After that, you can enter the serial number just once. Later, there is no way to edit it.

Reload parameters/settings and verify the unlock code. The unlock code can be edited as often as you want.

There is a rescue for the short time:
Enter "1" for the unlock code and you get a 200 hour evaluation time. Maybe that depends on year of make.

HTH,
Nick

Back