Examples Requested of External Indexer Usage on VF Machines - Both Methods - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    The trouble with the Haas indexer is that it is an indexer not actually a true 4th axis.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to end up with but realize upfront that the Haas indexer will never be a true 4th axis and move in real time or do true coordinated moves.
    Not sure if the Haas indexer will really get you where you need to be especially if if you are adding another axis down the road.

From my second post in this thread -

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    Okay... Something similar happened last time, too, so I must not be making myself very clear, here... Let me try again...

We have a VF machine.
    The mill is equipped with an HRT210, already.

We have a stand alone indexer and its controller.
    We have been using the stand alone indexer on a manual mill for a while.

Now, we want to do a few things in the VF machine, using the stand alone indexer.

For simpler stuff, we can easily disconnect the HRT210 and ( using a converter cable ) use the S5C instead of the HRT210.

That is NOT what I am inquiring about.

I want to know two things -

Am I correct in the assertion that one uses the four wire/pin cable in conjunction with an "M21" and that is all that is necessary?

And, if one desires to use the more advanced capability, using the RS232 cable interface, does one ALSO still use the four wire cable?

And... can someone provide an example of the code used while doing so?

Clear as mud?

Thanks.

The Haas indexer has two separate methods of doing moves. There is a machine command move that utilizes the four wire cable. This is basically a start command move from the CNC and a command complete signal back to the CNC. This only supports preloaded move commands in the indexer control. This is basically incremental moves. The hydraulic lock is also unlocked at the start and relocked at the end of each move.
    Yep. We already established that much. Actually, the S5C does not have a hydraulic lock.

The other method is by ASCII strings of G code statements. This allows much more flexibility but with some serious limitations. This is a software only handshake and the realtime conditions can not be trusted for repeatability. This also does not use the 4 wire cable.
    I appreciate your willingness to weigh in. I am aware of the limitations. I am still asking for someone with experience or knowledge to explain this better than the manual does and if possible include an example of the usage.

I've rewritten this three times in an effort to avoid having it sound snarky. I honestly do not know how much more clear I can possibly make the request or phrase the question. If someone reading this can tell me what I am doing wrong or not being clear about please do tell me.

To recap and reiterate the current query accommodating what has been learned along the way -

Can someone with experience and knowledge provide an explanation of how to use the ASCII and G-code commands for using a Haas external indexer control in conjunction with a Haas VF machine while using an RS232 connection for the communication between control and indexer? Additionally, can you also provide an example of this use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm reading along because I'd like to know too and I see your frustration. At one place in the instructions it's clear that you only need the RS232 cable. At another place it's clear that you need both cables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my second post in this thread -

Yep. We already established that much. Actually, the S5C does not have a hydraulic lock.

I appreciate your willingness to weigh in. I am aware of the limitations. I am still asking for someone with experience or knowledge to explain this better than the manual does and if possible include an example of the usage.

I've rewritten this three times in an effort to avoid having it sound snarky. I honestly do not know how much more clear I can possibly make the request or phrase the question. If someone reading this can tell me what I am doing wrong or not being clear about please do tell me.

To recap and reiterate the current query accommodating what has been learned along the way -

Can someone with experience and knowledge provide an explanation of how to use the ASCII and G-code commands for using a Haas external indexer control in conjunction with a Haas VF machine while using an RS232 connection for the communication between control and indexer? Additionally, can you also provide an example of this use?
    I think that why you have not gotten the specific answer you are asking is that very few people have actually gotten this to work the way it needs to work to be useful.

Here is a link to a good synopsis of what needs to be done. There are many pitfalls to overcome to get it to work.

http://www.*******.com/forums/haas-m...cnc-forum.html

I see that the site is blocked from here. It is at the place similar to autozone.

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think what Mr Ziggy said was, "it doesn't work". There's no feedback loop. Short version, don't bother.

Back to your original post, your method A does work. It's what we used to call chatter milling. It's uncontrolled movement to a location. If your locations are close enough together, then you get a semi-decent contour. With APT you use INTOL and OUTTOL statements to define how close the path will be to what you define. Then you can control the accuracy of the profile by loosening or tightening your INTOL OUTTOL numbers. On a 4" counterbore with some shaped divots I was using an 8" reel of tape but it did work and looked pretty nice. Mechanical tape reader sounded like a Tommy gun That machine didn't even have linear interpolation but it does work.

Using your method B, since there is no feedback loop the setup guy would have to stand there and adjust adjust adjust feedrates and speeds until the thing more or less came out the way you want. But that's even more of a hassle and less repeatable than chatter milling. So, in practice, not feasible.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it