What's new
What's new

Haas VF-1 12/91 monitor and control not working

craft59

Plastic
Hi everyone, I have a small shop in Clearwater, FL, I have been a machinist since 1977, still learning. My Haas has been running great, until last week when I powered up and the monitor and keyboard don't work. The monitor has a green light, but no image. I plugged in a new monitor and even swapped out the video board, but still nothing. All fuses are good, no error lights on. I unplugged connections at all boards and plugged back in. Without the monitor I can't read any alarms :confused: I thought I would try Practical Machinist before I call in a Haas tech. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Lyle

Hi everyone, I have a small shop in Clearwater, FL, I have been a machinist since 1977, still learning. My Haas has been running great, until last week when I powered up and the monitor and keyboard don't work. The monitor has a green light, but no image. I plugged in a new monitor and even swapped out the video board, but still nothing. All fuses are good, no error lights on. I unplugged connections at all boards and plugged back in. Without the monitor I can't read any alarms :confused: I thought I would try Practical Machinist before I call in a Haas tech. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Lyle

Check your low voltage power going to the processor stack; + & - 12vdc and +5vdc going to the 3 pcb's at upper left corner of cabinet. Look for power led's illuminated. The middle pcb should be your video board.

When I thought I had lost a monitor, it turned out to be the AT style PC power supply in the back cabinet had fried itself, due to a non-functional fan. I guess we're supposed to check that that fan keeps spinning. Oops :D

Can't remember if the monitor LED went out, but I had no video with the old or a new monitor until I replaced that power supply.

Definitely check the 5V power supply, we have a 1991 VF-1 over here in Longwood and it has had some instances of random rebooting and other problems. Probed that supply, found it was climbing from 5v to 8v and then dropping briefly to 1.0v which caused the reboot. We are planning on replacing it temporarily with a PC power supply to see if it solves the issue, and if so we will purchase a nice Mean Well supply that will outlast the machine.

Back