What's new
What's new

HA5CSB Direction

vf1kf

Plastic
I searched the forums, and didn't find what I was looking for, maybe you guys can help.

I have a HA5CSB on a VF-2SS. It rotates in the opposite direction as all the HRT210's I have on my other haas mills. I know I can reverse the A axis in the controller, but I would like to rewire the HA5CSB to rotate positive in the opposite direction it currently does. I have not found a service manual or wiring diagram anywhere ( just the operators manual), and wonder if anyone here has tackled the project, or has any input on the subject. Thanks in advance.

It has been a day or two but you need to take a look at the parameter list for the rotary in the control. I think there was a direction parameter or an invert encoder parameter. Obviously if the control will do this, this will save you the hassle of fooling the system by having to rewire the encoder and swap 2 of the 3 motor wires to the rotary. YOU BET it can be done but lets look at the easy ways first.

Did you call Haas on this? If they no, it can STILL be done but I am betting they have this covered.

Viper - will this way work for just the 5C? Or will it invert the 210's then?

I've never messed around with them - but my fix was to just have 2 separate posts. One for the 5C's and one for the 210's. That way the positives and negatives were correctly posted for whichever rotary table I used.

When changing from a HA5C to a Hrt210 you need to change the parameters anyway, as they are not the same I'm pretty sure. So, changing one parameter for direction will not be much of a bother I would think.

Just make a note in your program to do it. If you have a parameter cheat sheet, like I do, make the change to it and you will not forget it.

If you rewire the motor, (easy to swap two wires) the machine will probably sense it it's going the wrong direction through its encoder signals, and throw an alarm.

Just a thought.

Mike

You got it Mike, which is why it is required to swap encoder channels as well. Obviously switching this in the control will be much easier.

The issue is that our operators do not post programs. They have access only to NC files. So if a machine is tied up, and they need to cut a 4th axis part on the HA5CSB, they have to mirror A axis in the controller. I had a very expensive piece of material wasted last night ( made a mirrored part, the operator did not swap the axis ), and was trying to figure out a way to prevent it from happening in the future. If necessary, I can always post two copies of the NC, one with a post for the HTR210's and on with a post for the HA5CSB. I was looking for a way to eliminate potential problems, and it seems that that would open up the opportunity for making parts backwards on the hrt210's.

Of course all of this could be avoided by just paying attention, I do realize that.

vf1kf,

Not sure if you knew this or not, but each rotary unit, IE. HA5C, 7RT, HRT210, SRT etc., have their own special settings that must be entered or changed in your "A" axis parameters. There about 50 different settings and some will be the same but others are very different. Say a time out signal or invert "Z" or something. Or a value of 5000 on one and 1500000000 on another.

In other words, you don't just go the the setting pages and change the unit model that you have in setting 30(?), you have to go into the parameters settings and change many values there if you are switching units. Most places have only one or two units, so is not too much trouble. At my first shop I had only one, a rotary table. Now I have two, a rotary table and a HA5C, at least on paper as the table is down.

Haas has been making rotary units for many many years, (I think that is how they began) and they have evolved a WHOLE lot. 1000 line encoders to what 30,000 now? Many different motor types and sizes, home switches and no home switches etc. They are all different.

Mike

Last edited:
The issue is that our operators do not post programs. They have access only to NC files. So if a machine is tied up, and they need to cut a 4th axis part on the HA5CSB, they have to mirror A axis in the controller. I had a very expensive piece of material wasted last night ( made a mirrored part, the operator did not swap the axis ), and was trying to figure out a way to prevent it from happening in the future. If necessary, I can always post two copies of the NC, one with a post for the HTR210's and on with a post for the HA5CSB. I was looking for a way to eliminate potential problems, and it seems that that would open up the opportunity for making parts backwards on the hrt210's.

Of course all of this could be avoided by just paying attention, I do realize that.

As I mentioned above, I think you are not changing the parameters to the correct ones. Once set, I believe all of the units will rotate in the same direction.

Mike

The only parameters I have related to the axis are "4th axis type" ( with a bunch of choices, both hrt210 and ha5csb are there) and an option for "4th axis diameter" ( which I believe is to convert ipr to ipm )

The only parameters I have related to the axis are "4th axis type" ( with a bunch of choices, both hrt210 and ha5csb are there) and an option for "4th axis diameter" ( which I believe is to convert ipr to ipm )

That is in the setting graphic pages, not the "PARAMETERS" section. It is the button to the left of the "SETNIG GRAPH" button and says "PARAM DGNOS:

Press that button to get to your machines parameters. You should have the proper settings in you manual. There will be a page that shows all of them.

From manual: Param / Dgnos ( Parameters / Diagnostics) - Displays parameters that define the machine's operation. Parameters
are organized by category in a tabbed menu, or to find a known parameter, type in the number and
press the up or down arrow

To change parameters for a fourth or fi fth axis indexer, proceed as follows: Press the E-stop switch and leave
it in. You must then turn off the parameter lock (Setting 7). Go to the settings page by pressing the Setting
button. Enter “7” and press the down arrow; this will jump to setting 7. With the cursor on Setting 7, use the
right or left arrow button to select “Off” and press the Write button. The parameter lock is now off. Go to the
parameter page and enter the parameter number of the parameter to change and press the down arrow button.
Enter the new value for the new parameter and press the Write button. If necessary change the other
parameters. Return to the Setting 7 and turn this setting back on. Reset the E-stop button. Home the indexer
and verify that it operates properly by pressing Handle Jog and the “A” button. Jog the A axis using the jog
handle, the indexer should move. Check for proper ratio by marking the table, rotate 360 degrees as viewed
in the position

The Diameter setting you mentioned is to tell the machine the exact diameter of your part for full fourth axis machining. Not needed to be set for indexing only type setting or where you call out the Z depths. For proper rotation speed for the cutting IPM IMR.

Mike

Thanks very much, I was indeed looking at the settings page, and not the parameters page. Everything is rotating just like I want now. Again, thanks for all your help.

For those unfamiliar with these setting, I'll post the pages from my manual. Be advised that they will vary with your software edition and do get changed by Haas sometimes. The Haas rotary division will happily email you the latest for your software version if you contact them.

Notice that the top of these pages denotes if the unit goes on a brush or brushless mill, as the settings are different.

Mike

Attachments

• 4th axis Parameters.jpg
    4th axis Parameters.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,519
  • 4th axis parameters 2.jpg
    4th axis parameters 2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,088

Back