What's new
What's new

Is Haas of 1996 year is worth buying?

evidence_UA

Aluminum
Hi,

have a good proposal for a Haas/mikron VCE 1250 or (vf-4). The seller says it already has an io board for the 4th axis which is have some sort of importance for me. The question is: are they really stable and rigid? There are plenty opinions all over the internet that say that Haas are not so stable that they used to be and warn not to deal with the old haas. But others say that there are no such a big problem with Haas.
I have now 1996's Hitachi Seiki vk45-2 running with no problems and doubt if Haas would not be a pain if i decide to purchase it.
Thank you

I would offer "fairly expensive support for control of that age." Haas no longer supplies the original main control board. If it goes bad, the upgrade to a later version costs about $10,000 (at least here) including parts and labor, if it has the brushless servo's.

What do you mean guys by "control support"? Is there something often goes wrong? Because i'm having hitachi seiki, mazak and they also have an old unsupported anymore control but i can find everything on Ebay or some vintage parts dealers

Hatachi seiki, mazak are different animals compared to a Haas.

Haas is a lighter duty machine...been that way since they rolled the 1st one out the door and that still holds true with todays models. That said they can and do make great parts, although they may need an extra roughing pass or two here and there.

Parts can be had for there older machines from Haas. As mentioned some boards are now being sunset with replacements being expensive. But they can be had. Ebay is still an option.

Cant imagine you will find a functioning used board on ebay, and if you do $$$$$$

HAAS MAIN PROCESSOR 65-28C REV.B ASSY 32-39 392E REV B SM46362 LMS mona | eBay

That seller is an idiot. All his stuff is $10k make offer.
But, yea, I wouldn't expect to find a used board for less than $2k.
And, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if after you install one of these boards, HAAS still wont help you.
I don't believe you don't just plug that board in and its fixed. I think there are software issues to contend with.

I personally would not pay more than $5k for ANY pre ColdFireII HAAS. That is what happens when you fuck customers over.

Best part is there upgrade to get the coldfire machine running is to put a coldfire II control on it .... What day , Week or Year is Hass going to stop supporting it also ....

Haas is screwing every customer from about 2003 back what stops them from screwing a 2004 or newer customer?

I spent 7 months dealing with there new next-gen POS and was so happy when they removed the damm thing from my shop and were it was is a new Doosan with a Fanuc control ... less $$ and a way better machine

Best part is there upgrade to get the coldfire machine running is to put a coldfire II control on it .... What day , Week or Year is Hass going to stop supporting it also ....

Haas is screwing every customer from about 2003 back what stops them from screwing a 2004 or newer customer?

I spent 7 months dealing with there new next-gen POS and was so happy when they removed the damm thing from my shop and were it was is a new Doosan with a Fanuc control ... less $$ and a way better machine

Guess again! 2006 and back! Some machines as new as 07'

The safety line right now if you are considering a used HAAS is 08'-09' through next-gen. Which is what? 5 years?

But, yes, I agree! How long before they drop support of ColdFire-2?! Because, the last ColdFire-1 machines are only 10 years old.
I am sorry, but, 10years and you don't support that control anymore?
The company that would still be a spec among other MTB's without that control!!!! (re-read that, and let it sink in!)
Does not support their 10 year old control anymore?!
Fuck HAAS. This is a bullshit situation. And, until they actually come out and provide a legitimate, GOOD reason for dropping that board:
This really can only be looked at one way: It is a money grab, cut-and-dry. We are being gouged.

Prove me wrong! I wish somebody would. I don't see it happening. (yea I am pissed off :mad5:)

Hi,

have a good proposal for a Haas/mikron VCE 1250 or (vf-4). The seller says it already has an io board for the 4th axis which is have some sort of importance for me. The question is: are they really stable and rigid? There are plenty opinions all over the internet that say that Haas are not so stable that they used to be and warn not to deal with the old haas. But others say that there are no such a big problem with Haas.
I have now 1996's Hitachi Seiki vk45-2 running with no problems and doubt if Haas would not be a pain if i decide to purchase it.
Thank you

I have a personal rule with Haas machines which is to avoid anything older than 1998.

If it doesn't have a Vector Drive, stay away from it!

Ignoring the hardware, this, and other Haas threads, seem to be about firmware (boards) and software support. When I buy a machine, its not with the expectation that I will keep the machine for a year and move on, its with the idea that I will keep and use the machine until it nor longer fills my needs. Could be a year, could be five years, could be forever. If you are dependent on support to keep the machine useful, then that is a consideration whether to buy it or not. Right now my crystal ball for Haas is foggy or maybe I picked up my bowling ball.

Tom

Thanks for posts. Really doubt concerning that Haas and moreover i concerned about its rigidity because i really dont like XY-support will ride along that length with such overhang. I also have a good proposal for Cincinatti Sabre 750 of 98y and its somewhat cheaper and has 4axis wired. We have a good contact here for Cinci's support but Mikron has twice more the X-travel...

Back