What's new
What's new

Haas Alarm 144

Mark Hockett

Aluminum
I was running a job on my Haas lathe today. The job is 2600 parts and the cycle time is 39 seconds. I don’t have a bar feed so I'm pretty busy. All of the sudden the screen goes white and there’s an alarm message that says,

"Alarm 144 warning, machine will stop functioning in 84 hours, call dealer for unlock code, press cancel to continue"

I called Selway, which I hate to do anyway, and they put me on hold for quite awhile. Finally they get back on the phone and the comment is "we will give you the unlock code for 800 hours of use". That’s nice of them to let me use my lathe for another 800 hours. I had to waste a bunch of time to straighten this thing out and Selway talked like they were doing me a favor.

When I purchased the machine I had the money to purchase it outright but my accountant said to lease it so I would have a write off, I own my house so I don't have any other write offs. If I would have known this I would have bought it outright, although they would probably still put some code in there so I have to make a service call.

Makes me wonder if I would ever buy another Haas product.

Mark Hockett
Island Tech Enterprises
Clinton, WA
360-914-6026

More chip less lip

Mark,
My Haas salesman said they do that because some purchasers don't make the monthly payments. No pay, no using the machine. Sounds like Haas needs to jerk Selway's chain from all the complaints that are posted here about them.
Good luck,
Carl

Wait a minute!!!!

Where did you get the lease from?
If it was from HAAS direct, then they are correct and you'll have to put up with the 800 hour thing.
OTOH if your lease was acquired from anywhere other than HAAS < Like MFS, US Bancorp ETC. > then they HAVE TO GIVE YOU THE PERMANENT UNLOCK CODE!!!
In fact that unlock code has to be included with the install sheet.

I just talked to Mark on the phone, He leased it from Haas. I was quite surprized when he told me about it the other day when the alarm came on at 100 hours to go.
Jim

Ok, in other words your lease is with HAAS, so Selway was only a middleman in the transaction, and your payments are going directly to HAAS. In that case the 800 hour thing is their insurance policy.
Next time, I'd try a bank or a machinery leasing co instead. You prolly get a better rate to boot.
What happens then is Selway pays Haas for the machine, and your financing organization pays Selway after the Acceptance Certificate is signed. All parties involved in the sale are paid, the rest is between you and your financing organization. The shackle of the 800 hour timer is no longer needed as far as HAAS or the HFO is concerned, and the machine is permanently enabled during initial installation.

I am pretty sure this is normal. I had the same timer issue with my TL-1. It came up twice in the first couple years. I would call my HFO and HAAS would call me direct with the unlock code within 30 minutes. The 2nd time I was told the unlock code was the final one. I financed through CNC ASSOCIATES (HAAS).
The timer thing seems like a reasonable security measure for leased equipment. I'd do it if I was the leaser.

I had a '96 VF-OE. Haas called it the "pay code" I was told about it by the serviceman who did the install so when it did happen I just called the dealer & they got the code for me. I was told they just want to make sure the payments are not behind at the beginning of the lease.

I would really bitch if they didn't give you the code to make it go away for good.

Jackmo

Lets get one thing straight...

Selway sucks ass...

They have come to our shop many times...

They almost always SUCK ASS!!!

Charge us up the wazoo, and do shabby work...

Lame ass company...

Whenever i can, i will totally bypass selway, and go straight to Methods... They seem much better...

Damn bastards tried to charge us 1,280$ for the hand wheel / manual pulser for our mill...

I opened it up, and its really simple...

Maybe 80-100$ in parts, but they want 1,280$

So i told them to send me the little PC board in there, and i would install it myself...

Still charged me 280$... But thats better then 1,280$

So lame... Selway sucks!!!

Jackmo

If the lease is through Haas, then they wont give you the code until full payment is received. Seems reasonable to me.
If however your lease is through some other organization outside of HAAS, they MUST give it right off the bat, since the machine is fully paid for as far as they're concerned.

Solar

Why are you calling Selway? I was under the impression that a HAAS HFO is not allowed to sell, service or support any other brand. I could be wrong though.

SeymourDumore,

In 1996 they gave me the pay code & it was leased thru Haas, now they may have changed thier policy.

I have a friend who has bought 5 Haas machines at auctions he had a problem with one I called the HFO in CT. they got the code & no more problems.

Jackmo

Selway put a new board in my machine and now I have a Alarm 144 and they wont turn it off until I pay a bill I am disputing with them. My books say that I overpaid them. And they say I owe them $2000.00 Now I have a dead machine unless I pay them. Worse than the MAFIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and by the way I paid cash for the machine 10 years ago.

rbent,
I would be tempted to stop payment on the check, call Selway and tell them to come get the board and call someone else for service. You could probably get CNC Machine Services in Snohomish, 425-788-4500, to work on it. I bet their labor rate is much lower than the $129.00 per hour Selway charges. I think they are the same people that fixed PBMW's Haas SL-10. I know PBMW (Jim) is real happy with the guy who fixed his SL-10.

Mark Hockett

So if I understand this post, Selway has serviced everyone about the same as they have done us. I call the factory 1-800-331-6746, they help me thru the trouble in a fast and friendly manor, If I need a part they give me the number and I have to order it from Selway. If you have a real problem with selway, call Bill Selway himself ( I don't think he likes to hear from me, but I call anyhow ) 1-800-367-7359, tell the gal that answers the phone that you have tried the normal route and now you need Bill. If you pay your bills you shouldn't have the 144 alarm.

I would really think twice about buying a machine from Selway, at least from what I read here. I'd call the factory often to let them know you have problems.

Here's a plug for Allendale Machinery, our local Haas outlet. If it not for them I would have other brands of CNC'c in my shop. When I have problems I can usually call and speak with someone immediately or I get a return call from service fairly promptly. They have walked me thru issues and when I need service, they send promptly send someone out. Repairs have been made in good time with one dispute, which was settled fair as far as I was concerned and pretty quick. They did not hold me up when I needed to purchase additonal items while in dispute of a bill.

The 800 hr shutoff code, buy it outright or deal with it. I have found Haas lease rates reasonable. Yeah...who here can say we have not heard "trust me, I pay my bills."

I was under the impression that a HAAS HFO is not allowed to sell, service or support any other brand. I could be wrong though.

Arthur machinery is the Hfo around here and they sell miyano stuff too.

William Munny, I don't think the unlock code is for selways personal use as a collection tool. If your machine is 10 years old and you own it, I don't think they have the right to pull some bs and cause you potential downtime just to cover their asses. I'd call the lawyer or at least tell them that.

Back