What's new
What's new

Haas Barfeeder

Mr.E

Aluminum
My Haas barfeeder on a ST-20 has a tendency to malfunction when it loads a new bar.
Exactly what happens is the material travels 2 or 3 feet past the point where it is supposed to stop :ack2:
No way will I put in a M99 when I see that :nono:
I have setting #3100,#3101 and #3102 set.

However on small diameter material (1/4-1/2) it seems to work OK.

Any idea I should should look into :scratchchin:

I am thinking for whatever reason the feeder is not measuring the bar correctly. I'd be looking at the limit switch used to measure bar. Maybe extra weight of heavy bar overtravels switch or tray drop so not enough contact.

Should be able to tell from barfeeder page...check to see if length measured is correct.

I am grasping...but its where I'd start my search.

The lights on the limit switch apear to be working OK
Green - -Always on
Yellow - Detects the material when beam is broken.

I'm focusing on bar feeder setting #3102
If #3102 is too short then the pusher can travel a little further than normal causing a unwanted action.
Loading the new bar and positioning it with the chuck closed 2 or 3 feet past the chuck.
When I add an extra inch to #3102 so far it appears to function normal.

I don't consider myself a great operator by any means. But I would enjoy the opportunity to possibly help someone out.
I ran into this issue only when the bar stock was catching on the start of the jaws when loading a new bar, causing the stock to jump out a considerable amount past the desired length, and knocking the bar feeder out accuracy wise. I now try to cut a chamfer at the back of the jaws when boring them to avoid this, especially if the spindle liner has more than desired clearance for the bar stock (sometimes unavoidable).
When the push length gets funky for any reason whatsoever, do the following:
Enter debug mode. Enter GRID V, write. You should see a message saying "GRID OFFSET DONE". Then press V, Zero Return, then Single. Load a bar in MDI with G105 Q4, then jog the bar flush to face of jaws/collet pads. Close the jaws, then enter G105 Q2. Verify initial push length. Should be good to go after that, works on the ST15 I run with the Haas bar feeder.

Last edited:
loading a new bar, causing the stock to jump out a considerable amount past the desired length,

2 or 3 times a month this continues to happen.
I only run the bar feeder while using a collet.
I understand everything you said except
When the push length gets funky for any reason whatsoever, do the following: Enter debug mode. Enter GRID V, write. You should see a message saying "GRID OFFSET DONE"

What is debug mode ?
I know "V" is the pusher axis but everything after that I don't know.

Turn parameter lock (setting 7?) off, then key in debug and press write to enter debug mode. Usually I have to do this when there has been a V axis servo alarm from the stock catching on the back of the jaws.
You may solve your issue with a G105 Q4 command to load a bar, hitting RESET once the bar is loaded and jogging the bar flush to the face of the collet. Close the collet, followed by G105 Q2. I'd try that and see if the issue persists.
Also, I loathe the newer Haas barfeeder. The servo 300 was a better IMO. Seldom have to adjust one.

Reviewing my old posts I did find answer to the specified problem.
Here the fix for one issue and I did find fixes for all the others.
My new ST20 and bar feeder was set up by Haas personal.
The led sensor reading the length of bar was set using 1.50 round bar.
When I used a smaller diameter the led sensor failed to see the actual material passing thru the tray due to misalignment of the sensor. I realigned it with all the material sizes, not just 1.50 and also put it to a 90 degree angle which I was told "didn't matter".

Im a little late to the party as usual but wanted to chime in on the "Debug Mode". Although this procedure is viable make sure you don't dick around with anything else in there. You can really FK a lot of stuff up in there.

Reviewing my old posts I did find answer to the specified problem.
Here the fix for one issue and I did find fixes for all the others.
My new ST20 and bar feeder was set up by Haas personal.
The led sensor reading the length of bar was set using 1.50 round bar.
When I used a smaller diameter the led sensor failed to see the actual material passing thru the tray due to misalignment of the sensor. I realigned it with all the material sizes, not just 1.50 and also put it to a 90 degree angle which I was told "didn't matter".

Hi! I was looking for another topic and i found this thread and i wanted to add some info cause i had the same problem a while ago (and still happening time to time). The main issue is the machine measures less lenght of bar tha real.
I did several tests and my conclusion was related to the bar brightness. The sensor alignment is also important.
In fact it seems to work well every time if you paint the bar in flat black, which is not the ideal solution because the extra work and cost.
What i did and still doing is use the cut off tool with a load limiter to peform a cut in a z coordinate higher than the beginning of the piece. If the bar travels in excess it should trigger the load alarm, the machine will stop but you wouldn't break anything.
I hope it helps you out or someone with the same issue. Haas official techincal service was no help to me in that moment.

Back