What's new
What's new

Haas CNC mill CRT

teamjnz

Plastic
Hello

Once in a while when I turn on my Haas the screen comes up like in the attached picture. I power off the control wait a few seconds on power on again and it is fine. Also the screen twitches. Both in the vertical and horizontal direction at the same time. It is like it is blinking skinny to normal sometimes for several seconds and then is fine. I read that it might be the monitor power supply. I have know idea what or why. I just do not want to be using it and then not have any video display

Anyone else experienced this problem? Is the CRT going bad? Video card going bad?

Thanks. Any comment would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

• crt.jpg
    crt.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,894
It is most likely a power supply or video card problem, but it could be a loose contact. Take the back cover off the control and you should find the plug/socket for the crt cable, just unplug it and then reconnect and see if anything is different.

In the back cabinet, you might see a small power supply like that from a desktop computer tower. Check to see if its fan is running. The fan is on top where you cannot see it very well. The fan seizes, the power supply overheats and weird video issues can be the result. If not too late, replace the fan if it is stuck. The power supply can also be replaced, although it is an older style power supply, I did find a replacement online somewhere that was quite cheap.

Any updates on this? Ours just started acting up as well and if there is a fix i would love to hear about it.
IMG_20160421_185355102.jpg

If you go into the back of the CRT monitor enclosure, give it a couple hours after shutting down the power to ensure the high voltage supply has drained. Look for bulged or blown capacitors, they tend to age faster than the rest of the components.

You appear to have a different problem. The brightness and contrast are off making the background too bright and the retrace lines appearing. There are potentiometers either on the main board or daughter board that drives the CRT. You might also try moving the connectors (use gloves) to see if the screen changes. I found a banding problem caused by a bad connector on the back of the tube.I had to resolder the pins on the board.

I'll give that a shot. It has worked well for months, and then all of a sudden I turned it on and it looked like that (Bright background and blurry text). On a (possibly) related note we have been having random reboots that I think we have traced to the 5v power supply- We are planning on replacing it with a PC power supply in the meantime to cover the 5v and 12v lines, and if that fixes the problem we'll pick up a nice Mean Well supply or similar for a permanent solution. I'm unsure if the CRT issue is power related, but I'll try a few things out and report back.

On my VF-1 (1990) the CRT runs off 110VAC with just the signals coming from the video board.
Mine uses a PC power supply which outputs +/-12VDC and +/-5VDC.
XPpower.com in the UK has power bricks with +/- outputs.

Back