What's new
What's new

Haas Control Alarm Volume

CCC

Hot Rolled
This is one of those annoying little things that I can't figure out.
Our Haas mill was off for about a week, and when we powered up, the alarm "beep" is suddenly much louder - painfully so. I wouldn't mind if it only beeped on alarms, but it's every time you press a key. Paging through settings sort of hurts my ears.

I'm not trying to be a wimp, but is there a volume setting? I can't seem to find anything in settings or parameters.

On our Minimill, theres a round dial right underneath the control that can be turned. It's not a volume knob, I think it actually opens or closes the hole where the sound comes out.

Reach inside that "glove box" area and feel around.

Like Volitan said, the buzzer on the bottom of the control is exposed. It has a rotating cover, which controls the volume.
Likely that someone has bumped and turned it to allow higher volume.
Simple turn it back to where you want it.
Alternative is duct tape, which makes for a really sweet silencer in this application.

Don't feel dumb. We had an operator here who found it and used to mess with it all the time to amuse himself I guess. I actually didn't know how the volume was changing until he showed me.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but this is a serious problem. Yes, all post above are true and the speaker has a usless, inefective shutter. I have searched everywhere (including settings) and can't find how to lower the volume. I have 3 layers of heavy duct tape over it and it is still ear piercing. I'm sure some of the sound is eminating from inside the box but short of lining with lead what can I do?
TM-1, 2003

Maybe that is my problem. When the shutter is closed I can't detect any change in volume . . . its piercing all the time! Even with 3 layers of duct tape it is anoying and is probably radiating from the cabinet walls.

I write a lot of programs at the machine so I got tired of the constant beeping and took the back panel off the control and just unplugged the beeper, made the machine much more likeable.

Sent from my A577VL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping there was a setting or something I could simply change from the keyboard. Lacking that I may find something more suitable and wire it in. I don't want to disable it completely, just something more pleasing. Thanks to all.

I just wanted to say thank you to Volitan for posting this. After three years, and a few yards of duct tape, I finally have a happy operator on our 2000 VF-2. I guess you really do learn something new everyday.

What did you do to fix it? I have closed the shutter and covered it with many layers of heavy Gorillia tape. There is hardly any detectible change in volume! I think lead foil might help but I can't find any in local stores. I havent removed the back cover yet but that is next.

Back