What's new
What's new

Haas control shift offset

mikechvz

Plastic
howdy

for the past 8 years ive only worked on DAEWOO and DOOSAN machines with FANUC controls of course. I recently took a new job, and they have all HAAS. When I used the FANUC there was G54, G55, G56 etc. Above my G54 setting was a "shift offset 000" where if I wanted to offset my Y +.010 all I had to do was put .010 into the y coordinate instead of adding +.010 into the G54 and changing my TRUE origin. On the HAAS I see there are G54 G55 and so on, but also a G52. do I have to change my actual G54? is there a world coordinate offset that I can make incremental offsets instead?

G52 is NOT a work offset as stated above. It is a work SHIFT.

G52 Xxx. Yyy. Zzz. moves ALL work offsets (G54, G55 etc.) ONCE. After you set your work offset, you can do G52 X1. and everything will be moved X+1.0 until you do something else. And you can run the same G52 line a thousand times, it will only move the offset once (it's called a global shift). Just use G52 X0. Y0. Z0. (or the reset button or I believe M30) to put everything back to where it was. Very simple to use, and pretty hard to mess up.

As an aside, it really sucks that searching G52 in the forum results in zero hits. It's been discussed a bunch of times, and you would think a machinist forum would be able to search for G and M codes.

G52 Xxx. Yyy. Zzz. moves ALL work offsets (G54, G55 etc.) ONCE. After you set your work offset, you can do G52 X1. and everything will be moved X+1.0 until you do something else. And you can run the same G52 line a thousand times, it will only move the offset once (it's called a global shift). Just use G52 X0. Y0. Z0. (or the reset button or I believe M30) to put everything back to where it was. Very simple to use, and pretty hard to mess up.

As an aside, it really sucks that searching G52 in the forum results in zero hits. It's been discussed a bunch of times, and you would think a machinist forum would be able to search for G and M codes.

thanks everyone

this reply helped perfectly

G92 is used often more than G52
i often have to go to zero return position and see what coordinates say. it should say same numbers as G54 work offsets
but opposite sign G54 X-10. then at zero return and G54 in effect should have X+10.
i have scrapped parts not checking on a restart where in middle of a program a G92 basically did a grid shift of
coordinates. checking coordinates at zero return position i do now after learning the hard way

howdy

for the past 8 years ive only worked on DAEWOO and DOOSAN machines with FANUC controls of course. I recently took a new job, and they have all HAAS. When I used the FANUC there was G54, G55, G56 etc. Above my G54 setting was a "shift offset 000" where if I wanted to offset my Y +.010 all I had to do was put .010 into the y coordinate instead of adding +.010 into the G54 and changing my TRUE origin. On the HAAS I see there are G54 G55 and so on, but also a G52. do I have to change my actual G54? is there a world coordinate offset that I can make incremental offsets instead?

I don't think of G54 as being the true origin, rather, G53 is the machine coordinate system, and that is where the 'true' origin is. The work offsets are related to that. So I'm assuming that you are correcting a G54 that is off by a small amount, just type in the value for the axis address you need to modify and press write, and it will do the addition for you. Less chance of a typo that way, than re-entering the entire number and pressing F1. Modifying the G54 does not affect the positions stored for the other work offsets you may be using.

This is great information. There are times when it is necessary to perform a one-time work offset shift (i.e. a ding in the workpiece that would show up in the machined part, and which can be avoided by shifting the offset a bit).

If G52 works as described above it would save from having to change the work offset and then changing it back to its original values. (which sometimes I have forgetten to do).

Back