What's new
What's new

Haas GR510 Riser Blocks

atomarc

Diamond
I'm sharing these pictures if for no other reason than to show the procedure I used raise a customers 'Z' axis height on a Haas gantry mill to allow for the use of a Gerardi angle head.

Haas offers these riser blocks in different configurations, but to my knowledge, not for this older machine, and they will only fit the blocks when a machine is being assembled at the factory.

These risers were made from 3" x 4" 1018 CR bar stock, sawn to length, welded and stress relieved, then surface ground. The little trap door was to allow all the wiring to pass through to the middle of the riser block.

This retrofit raised the 'Z' height by 4".

Stuart

DSCN0658.jpgDSCN0659.jpgDSCN0662.jpgDSCN0663.jpgDSCN0664.jpg

Last edited:
Nice mod! It looks original if just the paint matched the factory color (but where's the fun in that)

I have a GR510 with the factory risers. They're installed further down the bridge supports, near in elevation to the table itself. Just in case anybody cares...

Thanks for the note. I have not seen any machine with risers installed and I did look at the lower connection but felt the one up top would work as well...so I do care, and appreciate your input.

Haas paint is a tough one to fake..I just went with grey and called it good.

Stuart

Do I recall right another thread a few months ago on making these riser blocks where there was a discussion leading to suggestion of the welded, stress relieved and ground solution? They look like they turned out great. A small aesthetic point: one could avoid the slight paint color mismatch in situations like this by painting the parts Haas red instead of grey. Not that anyone will mind!

Do I recall right another thread a few months ago on making these riser blocks where there was a discussion leading to suggestion of the welded, stress relieved and ground solution? They look like they turned out great. A small aesthetic point: one could avoid the slight paint color mismatch in situations like this by painting the parts Haas red instead of grey. Not that anyone will mind!

Well..it looks like your memory is better than mine. Yes, there were actually a couple of threads I started dealing with this project, they were interesting to reread and compare to the final outcome.

I'm glad I went with the cold rolled versus flame cut or waterjetted. The cost of material was basically all the same and my labor to weld the individual pieces together was minimal so it appears to me it was less costly to assemble them in the fashion I did than to have them burnt or jetted out of a solid plate..plus my anal concern over crisp edges was put to rest.

I'm not worried about the color..I think they look very nice, and more importantly..the customer was happy.:)

Stuart

Back