What's new
What's new

Haas Helpful Tips & Tricks

swiss blade

Aluminum
I recently wrote a little macro program to alarm when the machine reached a certain coolant level.
%
O00007
Macro Coolant Program
#801= #1094
IF [ #801 LT 46000 ] GOTO100
IF [ #801 GT 46000 ] GOTO200
N100
#3000= 1 (LOW COOLANT LEVEL)
N200
(PART PROGRAM)
M30 (or M99 if you run as a sub program M98)
%

I ran it as an M98 sub program call; it worked great!

So....I know that as you run a machine for any length of time, you will figure out little tips and tricks that either help you work more efficiently or are just plain cool.

Please post the little tips, tricks, and tid-bits that you've picked up on your Haas machines along the way.

On our GR we need to hop a large fixture.

Loading tools:

MDI
M98P1
M30

O1 (Tool Load Program)
#33 = 20 (Total Number of Tools)
#1 = #3026
IF[ #1 GT #33 ] THEN #1 = 1.
G91 G28 Z0.
T#1 M6
G91 G28 Z0.
G00 G90 G53 Y-80.
M99

On your Coolant Macro you could just end it with a M99

Then in the part program call M98 P7 this would quickly apply it to any program that needed it. Also allows for rechecking before specific tools

Edit: Reread the OP and it seams your doing this.

Another good one. Modified "Spindle Warmup"

This will request that someone removes the tool that was left in the spindle.

Really it just makes you hit reset after starting the program the first time. But if someone has gone thru the hassle of hitting the reset button they tend to cycle the tool.

%
O99999 (Spindle Warm-up)
(This program should be run prior to)
(machine use if machine has been idle)
(for more than 4 days.)
(Cycle time: 20-minutes.)
(This program can be used for all)
(spindle types and may be used daily)
(for spindle warm-up prior to high)
(speed spindle use. Adjust spindle)
(speed override depending on maximum)
(spindle speed of machine: Set)
(override at 50% for 5,000 rpm)
(machines, set at 100% for 7,500)
(& 10,000 rpm machines, and set at)
(150% for 15,000 rpm machines.)
(9-21-99)
IF[ #503 EQ 1. ] GOTO1
#503= 1.
#501= 2.
N1
GOTO#501
N2
#501= 3.
#3006= 101. (Tool Is Stuck)
(Please Cycle Tool Before Continuing)
GOTO2
N3
S500 M03
G04 P200.
S1000 M03
G04 P200.
S2500 M03
G04 P200.
S5000 M03
G04 P200.
S7500 M03
G04 P200.
S10000 M03
G04 P200.
#503= #0
#501= #0
M30
%

Another helpful tip I was shown: you can save everything off of your machine--parameters, settings, offsets, programs, key-history, alarms, etc. onto a flash-drive...very easily. It's nice if you have an employee that isn't trustworthy: if he crashes your machine and won't 'fess-up, you can go see exactly what he did--even what keys he pressed. It's a good feature.

1) List Prog
2) Select USB Device
3) F4 (You'll see a list of everything that you can save individually or as a whole)
4) Arrow down to "Save All - Backup"
5) Type in a name for the documents
6) Press Enter

You can read the files on your computer in a program like notepad, or you can reload them into the machine using the load feature on the F4 menu.

Also, if you are getting a specific alarm that you need to email to a Haas AE or the like; instead of whipping out your phone, taking a picture of the screen; or writing down the alarm, you can simply insert a USB storage device into your machine, press shift+F1, and it will save a screenshot to the USB in .bmp format.

We all have something that brings the table front and center at then end of a job.
I often need to go in to that program and change the X value depending where the work is on my table.
I also change the Z value if it is a one tool job and I don't need the spindle to go all the way up.

The call;
G65 P90002 X-14. Y0 Z-13.5

The macro;
090002 (FRONT AND CENTER)
M9
M0
G0
S1500
G53 Z#26
G53 X#24 Y#25
M99

Regards, Ray

Hey, no problem. It's all good stuff!

I remember taking a new job, getting put on a Haas VF3, and when I needed to change a tool, I had to go into MDI and run M06 T"whatever" to get the tool I needed. I remembered seeing a co-worker at my previous employer maneuver around much more effectively. Sent him a text; he replies: "Oh man! You're doing it the hard way. Just get into the MDI mode enter whatever tool and then press ATC Forward or ATC Reverse. For instance "T6 ATC Forward."

Bingo! Saves a couple minutes every day!

If anybody has more of the same, please post!

Hey, no problem. It's all good stuff!

I remember taking a new job, getting put on a Haas VF3, and when I needed to change a tool, I had to go into MDI and run M06 T"whatever" to get the tool I needed. I remembered seeing a co-worker at my previous employer maneuver around much more effectively. Sent him a text; he replies: "Oh man! You're doing it the hard way. Just get into the MDI mode enter whatever tool and then press ATC Forward or ATC Reverse. For instance "T6 ATC Forward."

Bingo! Saves a couple minutes every day!

If anybody has more of the same, please post!

You can do the same thing for the pocket number. Say you see a broken tool in pocket 12 but not sure what tool number that is.

Type in P12 then press ATC FWD or REV and it will put the tool from pocket 12 into the spindle.

You can do the same thing for the pocket number. Say you see a broken tool in pocket 12 but not sure what tool number that is.

Type in P12 then press ATC FWD or REV and it will put the tool from pocket 12 into the spindle.

I had these 2 Haas VF2s with SMTC for over a year before I figured that one out. Man does that make life easier!

Here is something I came up with for anyone who would like to incorporate tool break detection into their programs using a simple M-code. I run it after each tool that I want to monitor; works great! (Machine requires macros in order to use)
See below:

Automatic Tool Breakage Check
Using M code call out

Look at parameters 81 -90 for M macro call (program #)
Assign any unused M-code to an open parameter and note the program number associated with it.
Example: Par 81 M macro call O9000 M45 (Any unused m-code)
Next create a new program using the number associated with the parameter
O9000;
#100 = #3026; (#3026 = register for current tool in spindle. Assign to #100 which is a visible register to the operator for reference only, this step not required)
G53G49Z0M09; (Z-AXIS Safety Retract)
G00G90;
G65P9023A24.T#100H.02; (Renishaw tool breakage routine, H = tolerance of tool +/- compared to set value before alarming; adjust this value to suit your needs)
G103; (Resets block look ahead to default value)
M62; (Turns off touch probe)
M99;
This program will check whatever tool is in the spindle using a simple M45 code placed anywhere in your program.

To incorporate diameter check, you program a normal tool breakage detect. Then replace the P# with P9853, the A# with B1. and add an S and H for tool Dia and breakage tolerance. The finished code should look like this for a .5 endmill (tool #5 with a .005 breakage tol.}. P9853 B1. T5 S.5 H.005 :

I do as well. They cover a lot of useful information. Beside the class itself, you get to know the Applications Engineer on a more personal level which could save you a lot of trouble down the road.

Back