What's new
What's new

Help!!! buying Haas mini mill maybe an issue

CPIindustries

Plastic
So I'm looking into buying a haas mini mill and I was able to find one for sale the other day. Went and checked it out spindle sounds mint runs great cut with no issues at all makes perfect tool changes. Only thing I ran into is if you are using the hand dial in .01 increments when moving the table very slowly in the X or the Y it's a real loud rumble and jumpy movement that eventually leads to what sounds like the ways rattling but moving it normal speed not slow or even quickly it's fine. One thing I forgot to do is jog it slow or at least put it in .001 increments and move it. But my question is I plan on looking at it once more and if it still makes that noise even when I'm jogging it or moving it in .001 increments what could it be and is it even worth taking a risk on this machine or should I just move on.

Each click is an increment being .01, that has table start and stop with each click. It's a good amount of mass to be starting and stopping every split second, add that to the stick slip of the way covers, some rattle of door, sheet metal enclosure and you have a pretty nasty sound. Harmonics, I believe may be the term. That's why when you speed up the motion to something steady, not ratchety, the sound diminishes.

I'd say the noise is normal, but tossing an indicator on table and touch spindle to check for backlash in X and Y. You should be able to push and pull table a thou or so in each direction with it coming back to zero.

Unless your doing a rapid spotting cylce or something the machine does not move that way.

Also gotta say...take a cut with an large indexable mill, especially something negatively raked...A Haas will rattle super duper big time...linear ways, lots of sheet metal and not the most rigid of machines on the market.

Is what it is...that said, I have a mini being built for me now.

So I'm looking into buying a haas mini mill and I was able to find one for sale the other day. Went and checked it out spindle sounds mint runs great cut with no issues at all makes perfect tool changes. Only thing I ran into is if you are using the hand dial in .01 increments when moving the table very slowly in the X or the Y it's a real loud rumble and jumpy movement that eventually leads to what sounds like the ways rattling but moving it normal speed not slow or even quickly it's fine. One thing I forgot to do is jog it slow or at least put it in .001 increments and move it. But my question is I plan on looking at it once more and if it still makes that noise even when I'm jogging it or moving it in .001 increments what could it be and is it even worth taking a risk on this machine or should I just move on.

What year? What software? What hours? What options? What price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13k$ But I'd like to try and get it a little lower with about 10000 hours and it's an 03. Has rigid tapping comes with about 10 holders solid hut holders a holder when your starting out. Standard 6k spindle and 10 tool changer. Programmable coolant and also obviously have the coolant tank and pump. Software wise I'm not too sure what you mean didn't know there were different kinds. but it has sat for about a year they don't use it anymore they have 5 others. There was some rust on the ways but when I tested it and the coolant hit it I wiped them and it came right off. Seems fairly solid that noise was the only thing that really scared me but it seems like that's normal because like I said at a quicker speed or running you don't hear that.

13k$ But I'd like to try and get it a little lower with about 10000 hours and it's an 03. Has rigid tapping comes with about 10 holders solid hut holders a holder when your starting out. Standard 6k spindle and 10 tool changer. Programmable coolant and also obviously have the coolant tank and pump. Software wise I'm not too sure what you mean didn't know there were different kinds. but it has sat for about a year they don't use it anymore they have 5 others. There was some rust on the ways but when I tested it and the coolant hit it I wiped them and it came right off. Seems fairly solid that noise was the only thing that really scared me but it seems like that's normal because like I said at a quicker speed or running you don't hear that.

So it has the smaller color LCD and not the CRT right? The software would help identify the generation of hardware but the 03 year gets it close. If you can find a friendly maintenance guy at the shop ask what’s wrong with it and why did they stop using it? 10~13k could be in the ball park if it’s clean. This is an older mini mill with some time on her and the price shows that. Depends on what part of the country it’s in too. I believe it’s a little tricky to replace the battery backup on that particular generation of hardware. It’s soldered to the board. Make sure it comes with the original book with the list of options and all parameter/settings. You have to plan for hidden maintenance costs. Rust on dry way covers can make some strange noises, that’s not unusual.

It's not the color screen it's the black screen orange text I think was the color. It does come with the original manual. I'm going to try and spray the ways this weekend when I look at it 1 final time with wd-40 or pb blaster and see what that does for it. It is in upstate ny it's fairly clean I think it's just been neglected the last year or so some rust on it and paint peel on the inside but not much.
Also they told me they stopped using it because they didn't really need it anymore they have 5 other mills and it's just like a small garage shop at their home so the maintanence guys are them and I'm not sure how much taking care of them they actually did.

Machine is on linear rails..aka bearings, its not solid ways, where is the rust?
I ask as I am fairly sure those rails should have way covers over them and not exposed to contaminants. That said covers are kinda crappy and stuff still finds its way in...but exposed is another story. Rails should not be rusty...can't be good to run a bearing on a rusty rail (race. Also if rails exposed the ball screw would be too...again not good to be exposing that to chips, coolant and...

Maybe I'm wrong, haven't had my head in a mini in years, maybe they do something different

Machine is on linear rails..aka bearings, its not solid ways, where is the rust?
I ask as I am fairly sure those rails should have way covers over them and not exposed to contaminants. That said covers are kinda crappy and stuff still finds its way in...but exposed is another story. Rails should not be rusty...can't be good to run a bearing on a rusty rail (race. Also if rails exposed the ball screw would be too...again not good to be exposing that to chips, coolant and...

Maybe I'm wrong, haven't had my head in a mini in years, maybe they do something different

It has linear rails but Haas still calls the covers way covers. The noise he is hearing is likely caused by the rubber seals on the covers jumping a little bit. Probably made worse because of a little surface rust on the covers. If that’s not the case, like the noise is coming from a ball screw, well then that’s a different story. The current owner may have some newer machines. The processor board in this mini is no longer in production although I believe Haas will sell a refurbished board to some one that needs it. You should be able to upgrade the control/software/pendant on this machine for around 7k if you had to. That would give you the new 15” LCD and 17.xxx software. But at that point your looking at $20k into the machine. Probably why the owner is selling. I know ....stressful. You roll the dice. Sometimes you gotta just pull the trigger and go for it. Honestly 10-15k is not that much $$$ to get started. I came from upstate NY. Way upstate. You probably don’t have much to choose from locally. You kind of get what you get. I moved to the west coast. Lots of Minimills and VF’s to choose from out here. As soon as you buy your machine you will find a bunch of awesome deals on mills!

It has linear rails but Haas still calls the covers way covers. The noise he is hearing is likely caused by the rubber seals on the covers jumping a little bit. Probably made worse because of a little surface rust on the covers. If that’s not the case, like the noise is coming from a ball screw, well then that’s a different story. The current owner may have some newer machines. The processor board in this mini is no longer in production although I believe Haas will sell a refurbished board to some one that needs it. You should be able to upgrade the control/software/pendant on this machine for around 7k if you had to. That would give you the new 15” LCD and 17.xxx software. But at that point your looking at $20k into the machine. Probably why the owner is selling. I know ....stressful. You roll the dice. Sometimes you gotta just pull the trigger and go for it. Honestly 10-15k is not that much $$$ to get started. I came from upstate NY. Way upstate. You probably don’t have much to choose from locally. You kind of get what you get. I moved to the west coast. Lots of Minimills and VF’s to choose from out here. As soon as you buy your machine you will find a bunch of awesome deals on mills!

I'm sure you're right I'm just going to try and oil them next time I look at it and see if that helps or completely eliminates it. I'm sure they haven't seen oil in 1.5 years since it doesn't run last prg he had on the control was dated 4/2016. Will testing for backlash let me know if it's the ball screw or not. If not what does backlash testing tell you?

What did they cut with it? What kind of chips are in the bottom of the machine? I would run it around to its x and y limits at full rapid speed. If it sounds good that’s a start. If you looked at the ball screw you can make sure it’s not rusty or discolored and still getting oil. But I doubt the owner will have any of that. If you had a test indicator on a new mini mill you would probably measure a tenth on x and y in backlash. A 15 year old machine like this I would expect you might see .0002~.0004" Some one else please chime in if im wrong. Checking backlash, ball screw noise, ball bar test are good ways to check a ball screw. Its a $12k machine. Expect that your gonna be spinning some wrenches on it and getting your hands dirty. Lots of good info on the web if you search around. Haas doesn't try to overly hide the service manuals and service bulletins. Parts are not terribly expensive from what I have found.

K- Dirty way covers, rusty way covers...no biggy! ...but when he mentioned rusty Ways...that a horse of a different color...wanted to make sure we are on same page.

I'm sure you're right I'm just going to try and oil them next time I look at it and see if that helps or completely eliminates it. I'm sure they haven't seen oil in 1.5 years since it doesn't run last prg he had on the control was dated 4/2016. Will testing for backlash let me know if it's the ball screw or not. If not what does backlash testing tell you?

Did you end up purchasing the machine?

So Only thing I ran into is if you are using the hand dial in .01 increments when moving the table very slowly in the X or the Y it's a real loud rumble and jumpy movement that eventually leads to what sounds like the ways rattling but moving it normal speed not slow or even quickly it's fine. One thing I forgot to do is jog it slow or at least put it in .001 increments and move it. But my question is I plan on looking at it once more and if it still makes that noise even when I'm jogging it or moving it in .001 increments what could it be and is it even worth taking a risk on this machine or should I just move on.

This sounds exactly like my tm-2 mill.
In my situation the rumble is made from excessive play in the ball nut.
Placing an indicator on the table shows me 0.002" backlash in the system.
If you can tuck a dial onto the ball screw. And put the needle on the ball nut mine shows 0.002" movement.
The noise is caused from the screws suddenly acceleration and deceleration. Essentially banging the table weight back and forth on the ball screw

This sounds exactly like my tm-2 mill.
In my situation the rumble is made from excessive play in the ball nut.
Placing an indicator on the table shows me 0.002" backlash in the system.
If you can tuck a dial onto the ball screw. And put the needle on the ball nut mine shows 0.002" movement.
The noise is caused from the screws suddenly acceleration and deceleration. Essentially banging the table weight back and forth on the ball screw

Was that ball nut failure caused by a plugged oil line or some other cause?

The tool room series machines are manually greased.
I'm thinking it was lack of give a crap
(Grease line is right at front of table)

My tl-1 lathe does the same thing too (0.003" ball nut play) but not as loudly as the mill as the carriage is way lighter than the mill table.
The tl z axis grease nipple takes a contortionist to reach. I don't think it was greased once.

Got them both for cheap enough tho. Can't complain.

Did you end up purchasing the machine?

Going for the final once over today if the table doesn't show backlash during that noise that sounds like the way covers are going to shake off and also no noise in a slow jog I think I'll take it. Too many what ifs or unknown problems that could be really expensive I'm hoping backlash is under .0004 and no table shaking when I hear that noise. Who knows they could've stopped using it over a year ago because they were having these problems and they are just trying to screw someone. But I'll update you in a few hours on if I buy it or not and some pics of it too. Could be a nice start to my shop but I'll keep looking if it's not worth it.

Good luck, do yourself a little favor, if you haven't already. write a list of things you wish to check, show the seller your list, and go thru it one by one. If they happily help you, vs bitch and moan, take the read...
good luck,
Chris

Going for the final once over today if the table doesn't show backlash during that noise that sounds like the way covers are going to shake off and also no noise in a slow jog I think I'll take it. Too many what ifs or unknown problems that could be really expensive I'm hoping backlash is under .0004 and no table shaking when I hear that noise. Who knows they could've stopped using it over a year ago because they were having these problems and they are just trying to screw someone. But I'll update you in a few hours on if I buy it or not and some pics of it too. Could be a nice start to my shop but I'll keep looking if it's not worth it.

There should be no backlash. The ball screw should have a 10% preload to prevent this.
I got my ball screw (40" x axis) quoted any it was $2700 cdn.
So there not break the bank money.

Even though I have some issues, my machine makes every part I need.
Whatever makes you money. All depends on the work your doing.

One thing to note when checking backlash. The machines are not very stiff, my other tm mill has no backlash, but mounting a dual to the table and to the spindle I can push it around .002-3". As long as it returns and repeats your golden.

Best of luck!
I hope it works out well!

Back