What's new
What's new

Haas lcd

Smitty1977

Plastic
Looking to replace a Haas LCD in a 2005 VF-4B. Haas quoted the LCD at $900+ !! (93-32-1131 SERVICE KIT LG PHILIP LCD)
Do they have the market sown up on this!? There has to be a compatible model out there. Something you can buy for around $150.00 and an adapter.
Anyone have any info on this? Specs of the 93-32-1131?

Smitty

That's garbage. I paid 600 for my 2006 LCD 2 years ago...from my HFO.

Around the same price I paid for a Haas VF2 LCD CRT replacement about 4 years ago from the HFO. May have gone up but could be they are quoting more than you need (e.g. mounting hardware, cabling, etc.).

Checked out Sequoiacnc.com..too expensive for this fix, but a good reference for parts, thank you. There is a way to do this professional and economical. The 2005 VF4-B is a monochrome(MGA,MDA) I have researched other sites and spoke to a few techs at some lcd companies and info on the "93-32-1131 SERVICE KIT LG PHILIP LCD" is vague. Do you have any pics on the 2006 hook ups? (Not asking you to open the machine up!...but that would be cool!!) Is it color or monochrome? LCD or CRT? I have read that alot of the 9 to 15pin adapters will not work using newer LCD's, due to the difference in analog and digital signals. This could be changed with the board, but we don't want that route either. A tech at earthlcd.com told me that monochrome should output through a VGA monitor, its just a difference in pin usage..well the research continues. We need $250-$350 fix for all HAAS users.. I know it's just business, but when HAAS charges you $17.00 for a probe battery, and you can get the same exact one for $7.00 from a battery store,..that tells me the exact kit they quoted me can be found for $400.00...better yet a LCD for $150.00 and an adapter for $30.00....need specs on their kit "93-32-1131 SERVICE KIT LG PHILIP LCD"

The one I installed looked like the pictures. Try contacting Krystal Displays.

Attachments

• Haas LCD.jpg
    Haas LCD.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 884
  • Haas LCD 2.jpg
    Haas LCD 2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 838
  • Haas LCD 3.jpg
    Haas LCD 3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 605
I think that is a pic of a crt to lcd replacement. Thank you for the info. Well after some research today, contacted Kristel Displays, they have a contract with HAAS and will not sell to individuals directly. HAAS truly is blocking the market. They didn't invent the lcd, they took the technology from what was already there and made some slight modifications, and want to claim proprietary rights...what ever. Sequoia CNC has had some issues with HAAS. If you don't have $900 bucks, you don't have $900 bucks, even though you buy a $70,000 machine from the company! I like Sequoia's motto, "America wants choices!",...a little tech data found today below:

If the monitor has a glass tube , it is a TTL MDA but the horizontal frequency does not quite match the standard. The connector is a DB-9 but only uses a few pins.
"Haas measures 18.44 KHZ horizontal 50 HZ Vertical with negative pulse on both. The MDA standard is 18.324 KHZ horizontal 47 to 70 HZ vertical with negative pulse on both.
I have had luck using a 1980's IBM 5151 but no luck using a new production Miracle Business MT 109 generic replacement. The issue is the characters are slightly torn left to right when using the generic replacement due to the non standard frequency."

Older IBM LCD's seem to have the best chances of getting to work,....so the research continues on...

I think that is a pic of a crt to lcd replacement. Thank you for the info. Well after some research today, contacted Kristel Displays, they have a contract with HAAS and will not sell to individuals directly. HAAS truly is blocking the market. They didn't invent the lcd, they took the technology from what was already there and made some slight modifications, and want to claim proprietary rights...what ever. Sequoia CNC has had some issues with HAAS. If you don't have $900 bucks, you don't have $900 bucks, even though you buy a $70,000 machine from the company! I like Sequoia's motto, "America wants choices!",...a little tech data found today below:

Couldn't agree more.

CHEAP MACHINES + EXPENSIVE (MONOPOLIZED) REPLACEMENT PARTS = HAAS BUSINESS PLAN

This is why guys swear by Fadal. Drive to your local lawn mower shop and they have everything you need for them;):D

Haas does some serial number voodoo so you can't find anything from any other sources. Same thing happened on my coolant pump. What would be a 200$ pump is $550 from Haas...and yep, you can't order a direct replacement from the company that makes it. "they have a contract with haas":rolleyes5:

Luckily, only my bearings were bad on the coolant pump so I fixed it in a couple hours and 20 bucks worth of bearings. I was too lazy to deal with the monitor issues and just paid the man. Keep this thread alive with your solution.

I think I read something about sequoia having Fadal parts also...I prob. need to chill out on the hatred brewing at HAAS. If I had money flowing out my a** it prob. wouldn't be a big deal. Like I said in the start of this thread" I know it's just business" but you are right tc1999, about double the price. Haas service tech were very good people. They took their time and did precision jobs when we have had to call them in. This last year(2013-2014) is the first time I have even run a HAAS. I dont have any complaints. They are decent machines, cuts a round circle(VF-8 2012) and is where I left it the night before.. most of my experience has been with Fanuc, and Haas is pretty much compatible(had some helical and spherical/conical issues but thats it) I have been machining 18 years in November. 12 years CNC 6 years all manual(Still run the manuals) I have always done my own programming,...well take that back I worked for an Italian Company " Eurolls" for a little over two years, and their programs were downloaded via Italy. We did have to program some parts on the fly using C.A.P.S and Mazatrol....anyway off the topic if an individual cannot afford for his machine that he is making payments on to HAAS and is out of warranty to be down for a week or longer until HAAS can get it repaired, the knowledge should be readily available to fix this simple issue with something they have laying around the home or office.... and before this thread is done it will be...thanks everyone for the replies...im going to try a few things this week and I will take pics and post the results...."We want choices!"

Done Deal!!

I think I read something about sequoia having Fadal parts also...I prob. need to chill out on the hatred brewing at HAAS. If I had money flowing out my a** it prob. wouldn't be a big deal. Like I said in the start of this thread" I know it's just business" but you are right tc1999, about double the price. Haas service tech were very good people. They took their time and did precision jobs when we have had to call them in. This last year(2013-2014) is the first time I have even run a HAAS. I dont have any complaints. They are decent machines, cuts a round circle(VF-8 2012) and is where I left it the night before.. most of my experience has been with Fanuc, and Haas is pretty much compatible(had some helical and spherical/conical issues but thats it) I have been machining 18 years in November. 12 years CNC 6 years all manual(Still run the manuals) I have always done my own programming,...well take that back I worked for an Italian Company " Eurolls" for a little over two years, and their programs were downloaded via Italy. We did have to program some parts on the fly using C.A.P.S and Mazatrol....anyway off the topic if an individual cannot afford for his machine that he is making payments on to HAAS and is out of warranty to be down for a week or longer until HAAS can get it repaired, the knowledge should be readily available to fix this simple issue with something they have laying around the home or office.... and before this thread is done it will be...thanks everyone for the replies...im going to try a few things this week and I will take pics and post the results...."We want choices!"

Sorry for the late reply. Simple fix. Took the machine apart, and ended up being a simple standard LCD, just like I thought. It was a Sharp LCD available on Amazon, Ebay, or anywhere, NOT A Phillips like Haas was going to sell us in the kit. If you have ever replaced a laptop lcd.. you can fix the CNC lcd. We got lucky! One of the video inverters is proprietary to HAAS, but can also be replaced with a China board and the right pinout and adapter(DVI/DFP) .

So,...moral of the story,...alot of time and research went into this fix, under some circumstances, its better just to "bite the bullet" and call your HFO....if you got the balls and some common sense, chances are however, you can fix it yourself!

Sorry for the late reply. Simple fix. Took the machine apart, and ended up being a simple standard LCD, just like I thought. It was a Sharp LCD available on Amazon, Ebay, or anywhere, NOT A Phillips like Haas was going to sell us in the kit. If you have ever replaced a laptop lcd.. you can fix the CNC lcd. We got lucky! One of the video inverters is proprietary to HAAS, but can also be replaced with a China board and the right pinout and adapter(DVI/DFP) .

So,...moral of the story,...alot of time and research went into this fix, under some circumstances, its better just to "bite the bullet" and call your HFO....if you got the balls and some common sense, chances are however, you can fix it yourself!

How about some part numbers for the items you replaced and sources. I am sure there will be some members on here that would appreciate the info and the time you put into the research.

Once you are so deep into an issue, sometimes you have to keep at it out of principle and not let it beat you.
Kudos to you for sticking with it and figuring it out.

Back