What's new
What's new

Haas low voltage power supply

Rapid_Tech

Aluminum
Hey guys,

I've been searching all over to try to find a replacement low voltage power supply for my VF2. The model in the machine right now is a Fortron/Source SPI-200G. I found one place so far that sells it $210 (vs $570 from Haas) and it's in the US. I've found a couple of different companies that sell SPI-250G models (200 and 250 are the output watts) from other manufacturers which are also less expensive. Does anyone know if using a different model would hurt anything. One technical help person I spoke with said there should be no problem with it but I don't want to screw anything up by trying to save a few dollars. Would a generic computer power supply work? There are some 300W models for $30-40 with what look like the same connectors, the only difference is the amperage outputs.

Does anyone here understand all this electronic mumbo jumbo?

This is just a standard ATX power supply. They are all over eBay for as low as $ 5.00 plus shipping. Coolmax ATX V 2 01 Power Supply | eBay

You may still be able to get one at your local PC store.

I haven't replaced one of these in a Haas in a while but if I remember correctly you have to open the supply and solder in the cable that Haas uses to supply power. I believe it solders in place of the power switch.

Perhaps you can go to a local PC shop with the old supply with the Haas cable and have them do the soldering for you.

Pipes,

I got in touch with someone at sequoiacnc and they have a replacement power supply. They mentioned the same thing, that I would have to do a bit of soldering which is no big deal. Hopefully I can have my machine back up and running by Friday (fingers crossed).

Well, I managed to find a power supply near to me and got it swapped out. I'm getting the proper voltage out of it now unfortunately the alarm (105-Z axis servo error) is still there although not as frequently. Now I can jog the Z for at least 3-4 minutes on the two highest speeds before it gives an alarm. The strange thing is after the alarm comes on there's some weird buzzing sound coming from the back of the machine if I continue to move the head. I can't tell if it's coming from the servo or the electrical cabinet. The sound only occurs when I move the handwheel. It sounds like this is going to start getting expensive :(.

I also topped up the counterbalance to 800psi so at least that doesn't drift down anymore.

Not sure if it will help your 105 alarm but the below needs to be checked regardless. I have seen the wrong setting cause the DC bus for the servos to be high enough to activate the regen circuit continuously which can smoke the regen resistors (stove burners).

Haas has multiple taps on the primary input transformer to insure proper voltage to the machine with a range of input voltages. Check the strapping for the incoming power. You will need to measure your actual AC voltage coming in and change the taps o the transformer accordingly.

The transformer taps I mention should be visible in the lower right side of the back electrical cabinet. The voltage ranges should be clearly marked.

That looks like a regular old power supply. Fadal's have the same thing.. And they want between $250 and $400 for them.

I was getting them from NewEgg for $5. They've gone up in price in recent years, but they still aren't $250...

I've eaten many many power supplies, and I always cut wires and added terminals, and had to jump the green to grey or green to black or
whatever to keep the switching supplies on..... Then wire the 120 into it...

Finally got smart. I have a power cable wired into the machine and I made up a harness for each machine. Now all I have to do is plug and play.
If I suspect that I'm having a power supply problem, I can plug in a new one in less than 30 seconds, and I don't have to chop any wires.

8893099210_458bdb8d28_c.jpg

Pipes,

The incoming voltage was one of the things the Haas tech checked last week. I'm running the machine off a phase perfect and it has the voltage display in the cabinet so it's easy to see where all three legs are at. They are 243, 244 & 247V and connected to the 244-260V taps.

Bobw,

Thanks, that looks like a nice little time saver. The power supply I bought was only $40 and was the only one I found here in Canada. I went to a bunch of computer stores in the area and they all said they haven't seen these old style ones, with the P8 & P9 connectors, in over 10 years. Luckily I found this one on ebay.

I just took another look at the machine and managed to track down the noise. My description was incorrect, it's not a buzzing rather a howling and it's coming from the Z motor. After the alarm shows up, if I jog the head .01 the howling starts, another .01 and the howling gets louder. If I move the head back to the position where the alarm came on, the howling stops.

It makes sense the motor is the problem because the Z amp was switched to Y. If the amp was faulty the problem would be showing up on the Y instead, would it not? Should I look into getting a new motor? Perhaps a new cable as well while I'm at it. Does anyone see a flaw in this thinking?

That is most likely the motor fighting against too much load. Once you have attempted to move the axis beyond the value in parameter 37 you get the 105 Z servo error too large.

Did this happen after you topped off the counterbalance? Where was the Z axis when you topped it off, home or elsewhere?

I was getting the alarm before I topped off the counterbalance. Although, it was only after topping it up that the machine would allow me to jog the head after the alarm coming on. Previously, once it alarmed, the head would drift down due to the low pressure and I wouldn't be able to jog the head anymore.

The Z was about 2/3rds of the way down when I topped it up since it would drift down after turning it off.

Just an update, it looks like the Z-axis cable is an issue. The machine was running a warm up program without issue and while jiggling the encoder cable, close to the motor, I got it to alarm. Although the alarm I got was 226, Z transition fault. Here's Haas' description of the fault: Illegal transition of encoder count pulses in Z-axis. This alarm usually indicates that the encoder has been damaged and encoder position data is unreliable. This can also be caused by loose connectors at the MOCON PCB. I'll try to get a new cable on Monday and see what happens.

Last edited:

Back