What's new
What's new

Haas max spindle load not alarming out?

Kapster

Cast Iron
Although i try not to do this often, Ive seen this happen twice on two different Haas mills (both 2014s). First time the part moved while using a high feed mill and overloaded the spindle, second time a spade drill broke. Both times the spindle stopped but axis motion did not! It seemed like it planned to keep on going, luckily both times i was standing there with my finger on the feed hold and stopped it. Did not see an alarm message either time.

Any other machine I've seem, when spindle load is exceeded it instantly alarms out and all motion is stopped. Is this not the case with haas?

Im wondering if this is happening because from the factory, the "current commands" page for "tool load" has no max load set. Both machines i have gone through and typed 200% into each tool.

Am i on the right track or is there something else i need to do? I really don't want to see this happen again! Cant believe they wouldn't have that safety built in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although i try not to do this often, Ive seen this happen twice on two different Haas mills (both 2014s). First time the part moved while using a high feed mill and overloaded the spindle, second time a spade drill broke. Both times the spindle stopped but axis motion did not! It seemed like it planned to keep on going, luckily both times i was standing there with my finger on the feed hold and stopped it. Did not see an alarm message either time.

Any other machine I've seem, when spindle load is exceeded it instantly alarms out and all motion is stopped. Is this not the case with haas?

Im wondering if this is happening because from the factory, the "current commands" page for "tool load" has no max load set. Both machines i have gone through and typed 200% into each tool.

Am i on the right track or is there something else i need to do? I really don't want to see this happen again! Cant believe they wouldn't have that safety built in?

You manually typed in 200% on the tool load page under current commands?

If so, maybe that is the problem and you've found a glitch in the machine? If it can't exceed 200% maybe it thinks that's okay and keeps going until something else breaks or alarms?

I use this setting on the mills and lathe frequently, and it works for us. Most times, setting is between 40-80% and for bigger drills maybe 110 or so.. tops. In 99% of cases I have it set to alarm the machine and it does work. Saved parts and tools just fine with it.

Why did you choose 200??? Perhaps a more realistic value would be beneficial here so the machine actually has time to make a decision in the event the tool/part/fixture is about to fail?

I've experienced the same thing on the Haas mills I've run. A couple of times this happened and I didn't get it stopped in time the axis servo stalled out and caused the e-stop condition.

I've never played with the "max load" settings, but logic would say that the machine would stop when it reached your predetermined max spindle load.

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

with other machines (not haas) there is 2 types of overload.
massive overload and near instant total power shutdown of machine
minor overload which can take 5 or more seconds for machine to react
probably a parameter setting as minor feed overload i usually get feed hold. spindle overload i usually see total machine shutdown forcing restart

Why did you choose 200??? Perhaps a more realistic value would be beneficial here so the machine actually has time to make a decision in the event the tool/part/fixture is about to fail?

200% is the max spindle load the machine is designed to run, is why i chose 200. The crashes happened when all the tool loads were set to "0" from the factory. It seemed like the machine was just turning off the spindle when it went over 200 so i figured if i put 200 it would alarm out.

Good to know it does work, when theres a number set anyways.

200% is the max spindle load the machine is designed to run, is why i chose 200. The crashes happened when all the tool loads were set to "0" from the factory. It seemed like the machine was just turning off the spindle when it went over 200 so i figured if i put 200 it would alarm out.

Good to know it does work, when theres a number set anyways.

Try a lower value. What load does that tool produce in good working condition? Then add 5 or 10%.

And check your setting 84, tool overload action. I prefer alarm, but YMMV.

Back