What's new
What's new

HAAS "Mold" machine......

Rstewart

Stainless
Could someone explain to me the major differences between the VF and VM series?

I did notice that they had 30"haaspower" and 12,000 rpms, but just 710 rapids. You just never hear of anyone owning one of these machines. Plus when you add the lenear scales option that's another 10 g's.

Just why would you justify buying a VM series mill? I know, I know for making molds!

Wondering if there actually a better machine than their sisters?

I don't make molds so I don't know how useful that funky table would be. It has slots running in X and Y...also has locating holes....suppose to fit molds?? I'm guessing the slower rapids is due to the weight of molds. It does include high speed machining as standard. I've actually never seen the top of my 06' VF-5's table since bolting on a subplate.
Carl

Well I'm actually the opposite on the subplate thing. I made a subplate for our VF-2 after we first got it 1 1/2 yrs ago. I took it off one time for a little extra Z on a (too big for our machine) part. Haven't even messed with putting it back on since.

I do think we could use the t-slots in the Y direction, but not a deal breaker either way.

Now I just use c' bored holes in the t-slot locations for dedicated fixtures I make.

Just wondering if the VM series are more accurate/rigid compaired to the VF?

Last edited:
Don't quote me but I think the VM has a slower pitch on the ball screws for improved accuracy. Thus the slower rapids. It also has a little extra Y. There have been a bunch of times doing Perm Molds that I wanted just 1 or 2 more inches of Y on the VF3. I would also dig the Table layout for versatility.

These also came loaded up with control options like High speed look ahead.

Our shop has a VM3, the things that ARB mentioned were what the sales rep was telling us also. The bigger table and extra t-slots are extremely handy when dealing with form dies and molds although a real pain to keep the slots clean, I cover up the unused slot with a sheet of .025 stainless steel to save a little time. A couple other things the rep mentioned were the inline direct drive spindle, standard with the air blast, the weight difference compared to the VF3, and at the time of purchase it was one of the only models to come with the new control. I've never ran a vf so I can't honestly tell you if these things are all worth the extra price.

The corporation that I work for choose the purchasing manager to pick our machine out, why would he get input from the person that that does the machining???? After all he went to a FOUR year collage, he must be smart.

No, not a govt facility. I think our executives live life on paper, not in the real world.:nutter: Don't get me wrong so far our VM3 has been a good machine and I'm happy with it. It works well in our die shop making one of a kind die components, but I don't really think anypne in a production shop would want one.

Back