What's new
What's new

Haas new 50 tool toolchanger...how big can that wheel get

Speedie

Stainless
Haas has a new 50 tool toolchanger coming out soon to replace the 40 tool changer. It has to be pretty big. I wonder if they will ever go chain driven. The new servo/gear driven tool changers make it look like tool precall isnt quite needed anymore. Thoughts?

Using something other than a carousel wheel would be a pretty big departure. I wouldn't say its out of the question, but Haas likes to use their existing parts as much as possible. We may find out soon though, since I hear they have a new series of pallet-changing horizontals in development which would be a good candidate for that type of hardware.

Anyway, pre-staging the next tool probably isn't required for most work but it may save a few seconds in the chip-to-chip time if the next tool is located all the way around the carousel. Having said that, the control will look-ahead and begin pre-staging on its own under most circumstances, so you might be able to get away without the pre-staging codes.

Anyway, pre-staging the next tool probably isn't required for most work but it may save a few seconds in the chip-to-chip time if the next tool is located all the way around the carousel.

My VF3 with the 40atc would have been kicked to the curb within weeks if it were not for the pre-stage.
I would go so far to say, over the last year that pre-call has paid for the machine, no joke.
I can't imagine that carousel holding 10 more tools. Nope. I gave up on HAAS advancements a few years back.
Have they gone servo on the side-mounts? Or is it still geneva?

Yeah they finally got rid of the geneva screw and went to a direct motor, it only takes like 2 seconds to flip 180º. Their "standard hardware" updates aren't cutting edge but I'd say it's better than nothing...I just wish they would do it quicker. Like a couple years ago when they ditched the unnecessary belt-drive spindles. Now if only they would ditch the umbrella-style toolchangers too...

I am just tied of Haas designing and redesigning machines without testing the damn things. One issue is addressed and another created.

Ditch the umbrella tool changers...why. If you don't like don't order machines with them...that they have an option for.

Last ST lathe had a nice chip conveyor...saw like teeth grabbed the stringies and got them out. New machine has Tailstock casting sitting over the conveyor...stringies now don't make it down to the conveyor belt...and if they do...smooth belt doesn't grab them and pull'em along. So much for conveyor advantage.

Mini mill had a nice big open front to load and unload parts. Yeah the door came out the side and could knock someone out...so they changed. Now door is to the right and doesn't fully open...so forget about the left side of machines table. Wanna clean her out...good luck you can't get under the table or sides.
Gotta love the leaking. New or old...don't matter they leak. Some fro here, others from there...
Haas...use the dam machines in a real world environment before sending these things out to customers.

Anyway, rant over... back to the 50 tool changer conversation

I thought I read they had a 70 tool they were going to use on the horizontal design

Back