What's new
What's new

Haas Owners?

TimH

Hot Rolled
I have been having a problem with my TM2. If I hit cycle stop during a tool while the machine is traveling in the Z axis then hit cycle start to finish the change. The machine give a Spindle Orient error. I don't remember having this problem before I had a processor board replaced a few months back. HAs anyone else had this problem/ I know I could just not hit cycle stop but sometimes you just need to.

I've ran several Haas mills that tend to get very upset if you disturb them in the middle of a tool change. I've also ran several that don't mind at all if you pause in the middle of a tool change. As a rule if I want to pause, I reach for the SBK button.

Well I don't usually stop is during a tool change. The processor board went back in September. Since then the machine has had a few more quirks.

You say "If I hit cycle stop during a tool while the machine is traveling in the Z axis" but I guess you mean Feed Hold. Something is wrong if you cannot hit Feed Hold during a tool change aznd have it continue when you hit Cycle Start.

I'm with HD on this.
Just checked on an '01 Minimill, '06 VF4 and an '01 SL10.
They all like Feed-hold during any state of the toolchange.

Thanks Hdpg & Seymourdumore. t. Thats what I thought. I haven't been too pleased with this machine. I know things happen & electronic stuff crap the bed. My gripe is when the processor board went bad they put board in that was for the machine with the large display. Since then I've been noticing a lot quirks in the machine. I didn't notice them right away because I work a "real job" now so I'm only at my shop a couple hours a night IF I have any work. The new board they put in was almost $2000 more than the board that belonged in the machine. It has a USB port on it they can't be activated, because I don't have the 15" display. The part that annoys me is that the tech USED the USB port to load the software (operating system) into the machine. Then the port shut off. Haas says there is no way to turn it back on. I think there must be a software patch that will make the port work. No one seems to know. Anyway I'm pretty soured on Haas at this point. Since I work a real job my shop doesn't need to make big profits. So whatever $ I make I put back into the shop. I've looking at cnc lathes. HAas is not on the list at this point. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one it does mean that I'm pretty disenchanted whit my TM2. BTW the machine was bought new in Nov 2006 so its not real old

Have you been dealing just with your local Haas dealer or have you contacted the factory direct? What you explain does not sound correct.

I think there is a member of the forum who uses the name Haas-Apps who is with Haas in Oxnard, send him a PM.

Have you been dealing just with your local Haas dealer or have you contacted the factory direct? What you explain does not sound correct.

I think there is a member of the forum who uses the name Haas-Apps who is with Haas in Oxnard, send him a PM.

I was told by my Hass rep that if I call Haas in California the that the call is automatically get routed to my HFO.

Try calling this fellow.

Wayne Reilly
Applications Manager
Haas Automation Inc.
805-278-8560

I am tempted to say your local rep is b*****ing you, but I am too polite.:D

When you think about it that would require a prety sophisticated setup, automatically routing your call from California to your local rep.

Thanks Hdpg, Like I said before, it seems that they must be able to do a software patch to get the USB working. Thats the part that is souring me in this machine & Haas in general. Up until now I haven't been running this machine much since the processor board replacement back in September. Yesterday ran it all day and I'm finding more and more quirks. Nothing earth shattering but annoying idiosyncrasies that grate in me.

HAAS Confused?

Hi Tim,

I have a 2008 TM-1P and for reasons un-named I have on ocassion hit the feed hold button during a tool change and the tool changer got confused when I hit the cycle start button. These faults were usually occurred in the first part of the tool change operation. I found that if I hit the feed hold after the tool change had completed and the Z axis was on the downward movement this NEVER occurred.

Just something to think about.

John

Our VF7 occasionally gets lost if you hit feed hold during the tool change. When mine gets lost I simply hit the off button and do a complete restart. This is less frustrating than the endless do-loop they call tool changer recovery.

The Geneva wheel design is a dinosaur that has no place on a side mount tool changer. Even with a swingarm and dynamic pocketing it is slower than the umbrella on our VF5.

Come to think of it, the changer on the Mazak 510C I ran would also get lost if I hit feed hold at the wrong time. At least with the Mazak I could mash a button to spin the carousel until it found the index.

Yep

I did a reset the other day and the VF3 didn't cause me any problem. That is the first time in many years I have done that and I was grateful it did not screw up my tool numbers.As a rule it is always better to let the tool carosel catch up and just feed hold it while it continues its movements.

I was told by my Hass rep that if I call Haas in California the that the call is automatically get routed to my HFO.

There is an emoticon for that: :icon_bs:

You call Oxnard, You'll get Oxnard.
You call Oxnard tech support, you'll talk to Oxnard tech support.
Your HFO can go pound sand, unless you need on-site service.
Parts, you may be able to order from another HFO.

We had a problem with our haas after the drive belt was replaced the haas tec had to adjust the the spindle Orientation in the parameters page.

Back