What's new
What's new

Haas Program Problem

tteitgen

Aluminum
On one of our Haas's VF2 2006, I have made a custom tool change program, and the control treat the program differently on this VF2 then it does on a mini mill. At the beginning of the main program I branch off to this tool change program using M98Pxxxx. On the VF2 the control just stops on a comment line, and you have to press cycle start again. On the mini mill it read this same program and acts the way it is programmed to. Any ideas why the VF2 stops at the comment line below?

%
O08901 (M239 Tool Life Check)
(***TOOL LIFE COUNTERS***)
(To change Tool Life Counter -) Stops here
(change the number after "GE")
(in the expressions below)

IF [ #861 GE 4 ] THEN #881= 1 (Counter Tool #1)
IF [ #862 GE 4 ] THEN #882= 2 (Counter Tool #2)
IF [ #863 GE 4 ] THEN #883= 3 (Counter Tool #3)
IF [ #864 GE 4 ] THEN #884= 4 (Counter Tool #4)
IF [ #865 GE 6 ] THEN #885= 5 (Counter Tool #5)
IF [ #866 GE 6 ] THEN #886= 6 (Counter Tool #6)
IF [ #867 GE 6 ] THEN #887= 7 (Counter Tool #7)
IF [ #868 GE 6 ] THEN #888= 8 (Counter Tool #8)
IF [ #869 GE 24 ] THEN #889= 9 (Counter Tool #9)
IF [ #870 GE 24 ] THEN #890= 10 (Counter Tool #10)
IF [ #871 GE 24 ] THEN #891= 11 (Counter Tool #11)
IF [ #872 GE 24 ] THEN #892= 12 (Counter Tool #12)
IF [ #873 GE 6 ] THEN #893= 13 (Counter Tool #13)
IF [ #874 GE 24 ] THEN #894= 14 (Counter Tool #14)
IF [ #875 GE 24 ] THEN #895= 15 (Counter Tool #15)
(***********************)

Things in between parenthesis aren't read and are useful for comments in the program. The square brackets are used for the macro call ups.

Haas doesn't like long comments so perhaps try removing all the comments at the beginning and see how the program behaves then.

I would get rid of that dash also. Might try to add a end of block after that comment line just to see what it does.
Gary

Does Haas view " " as a comment? I know I've seen issues when I have () inside a comment; wonder if it would be a similar issue

I have tried deleting all of the comments, then it just stops at the first expression. I run this program in a mini mill also and it runs fine. I like having the detailed comments in the programs so I can remember what I was doing. I use my own tool life counters because the built in Haas counters don't work for this application.

Are all Haas program numbers 5 digits? Fanuc I believe is either 4 or 8 depending on a parameter setting? You say it runs on another machine so probably not the problem but other then what's already been mentioned it's all I notice as different but I'm not a Haas guy.

Brent

Is the minimill newer or older? I'm wondering if the software is different. Sometimes this can make a difference.
You can likely get good info from the Haas tech guys when they are back in the shop.

I'm not sure of the name but there is a parameter for pausing at sub call. I remember reading about it when thumbing thru the manual one day.

Just for kicks you could try G103 P1; to limit lookahead. Just be sure to G103; to clear it afterwards.

Have you tried it without the triple * ?

Also, any ideas how many levels deep this gets called from?

Haas does some funny programming things with their comments, like they do with the old engraving routines, and all the vqc stuff.

Lots of ***** in (*****) is not a problem on a Haas machine 1998 - 2012.
:)
Software is most likely. Settings/parameters might be in there somewhere too, but software most likely since it runs on one machine and not the other.
:)

This has nothing to do with the comment section. It does not work properly when all of the comments are removed. It's only nested one level. I was thinking a parameter maybe.

Back