What's new
What's new

HaasTM2 rigid tapping

Mikesa

Plastic
Hi All,
I have a 2004 TM2 and tried rigid tapping with an M16 x2mm tap.
My machine stopped 2 threads in and would not turn.
I had to turn the tap out by hand while hand feeding the machine.

Is a Haas TM2 capable of rigid tapping M16 or 5/8"?
I am trying to determine if my motor has a problem or if I was tapping incorrectly.
Speed was 500 with a feed of 250.

Are you programming in inch? 2mm/25.4 x 500 = 39.37 ipm or metric 2mm x 500= 1000mm/min

Do you have a torque curve for your machine? You might need to tap at a point on it where your machine has enough guts to do it.

I have no idea about the torque curve but will look it up.
How will one know if the machine can actually handle a 16mm tap?

IIRC many of the TM machines had a torque peak about 1300 rpm.
What material were you tpping?
Are you sure the rigid tapping is turned on (it's an option I believe) in that machine?
What tapping solution/lubricant are you using? This can make the difference between failure and success.
16mm is big enough to thread mill. I've used a vee-form cutter many times in low power machines. Not at the shop right now, and don't remember the brand, but should be pretty easy to find.

I've run 1/2" -13 all day in my 2006 tm-2. Mild steel plate 1/2 thick, 250 rpm, done 5/8 a few times.
I believe torque peaks at 1200 rpm

Tap condition, type, coating, lubrication, tds, material all plays a factor in the torque required.

Not a lot of torque avalible on these small machines. So these factors could really effect its ability to turn the tap.

Maybe in your part application you can get away with a little bigger tap drill size and it would go much better for you?

Any one have any story's of pushing big taps on these machines? :)

Any of my VF machines will tap 5/8-18 in steel. Cheat the minor as large as possible for the given thread class required. If it won't pull it, thread mill it.

I've personally seen 7/8-9 in 316 stainless, in a VF4SS. It pulled about 90% load. Uhh, about 110% by the last (tenth) hole... ha...

But - the TM series may not have enough nuts for it at tapping RPM. Unfortunate aspect of the 15 HP motor.

To know for sure you might try a tap that you know you can do, and see what the load is. The coarser a thread is, the harder it is to tap, exponentially... on top of a bigger diameter requiring more torque! But then, a 2mm pitch is almost the same as 13 TPI. Can you tap a 1/2"-13? Or perhaps an M12? That would be a little bit less at 1.75 pitch, but it would give you an idea.

Have a 2011 TM2p and it will not tap that big 1/2 is pushing the limits. I usually peck tap if I have to tap 1/2 thread. That being said we usual thread mill 3/8 and bigger.

Back