What's new
What's new

HAAS ST-30 info. New to Haas & need some tips

guitarcode

Plastic
I can power machine all the way up & zero all the axis only to get a "no zero z" even after I get the z to move. I have many years experience on older okuma's up to the osp 70000 series but no exp on haas. Is there a sensor I'm missing? I even turned the ball screw to make it zero but after restart it doesn't read zero, wtf? This is a very basic machine & I feel like I'm missing something. Any input will be very much helpful:)

I can power machine all the way up & zero all the axis only to get a "no zero z" even after I get the z to move. I have many years experience on older okuma's up to the osp 70000 series but no exp on haas. Is there a sensor I'm missing? I even turned the ball screw to make it zero but after restart it doesn't read zero, wtf? This is a very basic machine & I feel like I'm missing something. Any input will be very much helpful:)

When you home the machine with POWER UP RESTART, does it complete the home sequence? Or does it stop and give you the "no zero Z"? Do you get any alarms?

If it completes the homing process without alarming but gives the "no zero z" while jogging, then you may have a chip or something triggering the home switch when the machine is not expecting to see the toggle. You could also have a break in the switch cable or loose connection. Any of those scenarios will give the "no zero z" message.

Good luck!

Thank you sir!!! I was suspicious if there was something like that happening. Everything is working fine & NO alarms until I try to jog the z. X is fine it's just the z & b axis on the tail stock that do that. I'll have my machine guy do a complete once over on all the parts to see if we can find the culprit. YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY:D

P.S. Could it be a servo issue, if nothing is found? This is a used machine purchased at an auction so I have no history on this machine. Again thank you very much for your input....

So Z makes no movement at all as ever thing else homes?

If so...ohhhh boy.

Doesn't sound like a can of WD-40 is gonna fix this one :(

If the funds are available I would hire a HAAS tech to come repair it and check the machine over, just had one checked over and re-aligned ever thing, replaced the window
and changed the belts and it was around $3000.

The money will be well spent making sure it is in spec and if not fix it, the ST is an OK machine when its all tuned up but if something is out of wack you will loose that $3000
over the long run f***ing around with it.

I would STRONGLY advise you buy new spindle belts for a spare, they are something like $170 +- for the set of 3 shipped from HAAS, Gates is cheaper if I remember right.

These belts are cog tooth and if you have an OOPS it will pop those cogs off in a heart beat and shut you down because there is no slippage on these kind of belts.

We are having our in house tech come in on Monday. I totally agree with you on not messing around with these. If you are going to do something, do it right the 1st time. Hopefully it is something simple.

After inspection I'll call Haas if we don't get an easy solution.

Thank you so much for your input sir!

P.S. Could it be a servo issue, if nothing is found? This is a used machine purchased at an auction so I have no history on this machine. Again thank you very much for your input....

Not likely.

Something is interrupting the home switch signal which is causing the message. No different than unplugging or manually actuating the switch after it is homed.
Basically, once the machine is homed, the machine does not want to see the switch toggle again. If it does, the machine gets confused because it now has a discrepancy and want you to re home the axis to reestablish its location.

Keep us posted and good luck!

I may be wrong and hope haastec can correct me if I am...

If I remember right I think if you can go to the parameters pages and find the Z axis limit switch and tell if it opens or closes when you manually depress it
by looking at the screen and watching for 0 or 1 or something along that line.
You may have to be in DEBUG mode which I be damned if I can remember how to get into it setting here not looking at the control.

If you can it may help trouble shoot the problem, if the control is reading the switch opening and closing then that rules out the switch and cable right?

I may be wrong and hope haastec can correct me if I am...

If I remember right I think if you can go to the parameters pages and find the Z axis limit switch and tell if it opens or closes when you manually depress it
by looking at the screen and watching for 0 or 1 or something along that line.
You may have to be in DEBUG mode which I be damned if I can remember how to get into it setting here not looking at the control.

If you can it may help trouble shoot the problem, if the control is reading the switch opening and closing then that rules out the switch and cable right?

You can see the switch bit in the Diagnostics page; no debug required. Press PARAM/DIGNS button 2 times then page up/down until you see the axis home switches.

Thank you to everyone who posted comments. The problem was just a simple code fix. I am currently looking for a turret leveling plate to borrow so I can get this machine in production. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Again, thank you all so much for your expertise.... Great group of guys here for sure!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone who posted comments. The problem was just a simple code fix.

Can you explain this a little better. I am confused how bad code was giving you the no zero z message.
I am always looking to learn something new.

Glad you got it figured out though.

Thank you to everyone who posted comments. The problem was just a simple code fix. I am currently looking for a turret leveling plate to borrow so I can get this machine in production. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Again, thank you all so much for your expertise.... Great group of guys here for sure!!!!!!

What is a turret leveling plate? I know they changed the design of the turret form the SL models, but to what extent I am not sure. Last time I had to 'correct' a turret (I just wanted to see if I could do it hahah) on an SL30 I just had to loosen the center bolts and get the indicator and tools out and go to work.

Sorry, I'm not a "trained" machinist, just an old welder that is in the machine shop. So most of my terms are not to the understanding of a true machinist. It wasn't code per se but just an order issue of B axis zeroing first. It is a learning curve for me. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm just an old math nut that can figure stuff out hands on. Nothing more. I love learning. I'm not real clear headed right now as I'm ill. So if I can clear anything else up I'll do so on a later date.

To be quite honest, I'm not real sure. I'm assuming just some sort of "feeler gauge" that is put on the turret to align to the spindle. I'll get it figured out in the weeks to come.

When I have a concrete answer to your question I'll be sure to let you know. Thank you for your input.

Back