What's new
What's new

Haas TL-1 Radius Program ?

JamesPNash

Plastic
To All Out There,

I have a Hass TL-1 toolroom lathe that I just bought used. It works fine so far but I have a stumping machining process. I have a 3.750 303 stainless steel push rod that I need to machine a 1' radius on one end of it. The diameter is .750 " The only way so far that I have discovered thru the intutitive programming is to set it up with a 2" dia. piece of stock and touch off the x axis, replace the 2" stock with the 303 SS .750" piece and touch off the z axis and cut a bunch of air until the tool begins to actually cut this pushrod part at near .750".

Does anyone out there know of a way the I can machine a 1" radius on a >750" 303 SS push rod part without cutting MANY minutes of air ? That costs me too much money in the process and my small shop is in enough danger of going under without that problem. Is there a way or can there be a process or program the could just cut this radius without all of the air time ? I don't know alot about actual cnc lathe programming but I can use the Haas intutitive programming effecently.

Thank you for any help that any of you out there can give me.

Jim Nash
Nash Machine
Auburn, New York

Yes, you're going to have to write the G code. But it's not going to be very hard. Good excuse to take the leap.

Try using the conversational to cut a full radius on the end of the rod, then edit the G-code generated by the conversational. This is the fastest way to the solution in your current state.

I have never used conversational program so I may be WAY off because I do not know if it is line by line or not that it generates.

If it is line by line it could be pretty simple I think,do as you have been doing except pay close attention to the numbers in your position screen when it starts to cut metal on the 3/4 dia.Then delete all the moves just before it.MAKE SURE not to delete the G01 right before metal contact.

OOPS..kinda repeated what Spencer said...sorry man.

Spencer in NH ,

Thank you, Spencer.
I do understand the intutitive programimg.
I will look for the G code made by the machine.
Any ideas what I will be changing it to and what it will be when I look at the program ?

Thank you,
Jim Nash

Not sure I completely understand your issue, so let me describe what I'm thinking you're after.
You have a 3/4" rod that needs a 1" radius turned onto the end, starting from the center point.
You want to do this in the conversational mode of the Haas control.
You want to program it in IPS by telling the control that you have a 2" dia stock.
You do not have CAD available to get the appropriate coordinates that applies to a 1" rad on a 3/4 stock.

I cannot help on the IPS, nor can I give you a CAD program to use.
What I can do is draw iit up and fingerCAM it in a minute:

(ROUGH - using G72)
G00 X.81 Z.05
G96 S400 M08
G72 D.03 P100 Q150 U.008 W.003 F.008
N100 G00 Z-.0857
G02 X0 Y0 R1.
N150 G01 X-.05 ( JUST SO YOU DON'T LEAVE A TIT)
(FINISH)
G00 G41 X1. Z-.0857
G96 S400 M08
G01 X.810 F.01
G02 X0 Y0 R1. F.004
G01 X-.05
G01 G40 Z.1 F.05

I'm really not trying to be an ass, but the cost of the IPS option would have paid for AutoCAD LT and an old version of Bobcad 17, where you could draw up your exact toolpath in ACAD
and let Bobcad fill in the G-codes as you watch it.

If I was out of line, I respectfully apologize.

Last edited:
Not sure I completely understand your issue, so let me describe what I'm thinking you're after.
You have a 3/4" rod that needs a 1" radius turned onto the end, starting from the center point.
You want to do this in the conversational mode of the Haas control.
You want to program it in IPS by telling the control that you have a 2" dia stock.
You do not have CAD available to get the appropriate coordinates that applies to a 1" rad on a 3/4 stock.

I cannot help on the IPS, nor can I give you a CAD program to use.
What I can do is draw iit up and fingerCAM it in a minute:

(ROUGH - using G72)
G00 X.81 Z.05
G96 S400 M08
G72 D.03 P100 Q150 U.008 W.003 F.008
N100 G00 Z-.0857
G02 X0 Y0 R1.
N200 G01 X-.05 ( JUST SO YOU DON'T LEAVE A TIT)
(FINISH)
G00 G41 X1. Z-.0857
G96 S400 M08
G01 X.810 F.01
G02 X0 Y0 R1. F.004
G01 X-.05
G01 G40 Z.1 F.05

Did you mean Q200?

Did you mean Q200?

Actually I meant N150, but I am a thickfingered idiot!:toetap:

Spencer, I often have 2 or more cycles within one program, and in those cases I ease the identification by using
P100 - Q150 for the first
P200 - Q250 for the second
P300 - Q350 for the third
and on and on....

That above was of course a typo!

Actually I meant N150, but I am a thickfingered idiot!:toetap:

Spencer, I often have 2 or more cycles within one program, and in those cases I ease the identification by using
P100 - Q150 for the first
P200 - Q250 for the second
P300 - Q350 for the third
and on and on....

That above was of course a typo!

Then I'm glad for the typo, because I learned something! Thank you.

Back