What's new
What's new

Haas TL1 lathe questions

cgmaster

Cast Iron
I am considering buying a 2003 model TL1 lathe. I plan to fly out Tuesday to take a look at it. This is the first HAAS anything I have even laid eyes on but the price is very good I think.

Looking at using it for gunsmith work mainly. I currently use a Mazak but think some things may be easier on this lathe. I asked about thread repair option which I set on the new tl1 lathes the owner does not know if this lathe has the option enabled or not. I called the local HAAS dealer worth the serial number and they did not know if it is on this lathe or if it could be added?

Is there anything I should look for in these lathes?

Thanks in advance.

I have used that vintage I believe but the thing is that some( the newer ones) do not come with handwheels...which kind of makes the whole tool room lathe thing kind of obsolete. These are not production machines and are light duty castings. For what you are doing it probably will work fine. Also I have seen some with 4 position tool posts and even upgraded with a dorian smartdex 8 position turret which is nice.

I am sure more will chime in.

Ps- The Haas controller is great for beginners and the conversational side is quite good and easy.

After looking at it closer and what I need to do I passed on the lathe. It looked like a good deal but hearing about some boards not being available for the older control and cost of changing out to new controller I decided to stay away. I think the years I am looking for are about 2006 to 2010 with handwheels.

Back