What's new
What's new

Haas TM spindle rebuild

Been dealing with the belt squeal for a few years, now I'm starting to hear something different at different RPMs. Sometimes around 1500 then again at 4500. Sometimes there sometimes not. No heat issues yet. Just thinking a bearing might be going bad. Last z axis crash was a couple of years ago. Less than a 700 hours spindle time.

Been dealing with the belt squeal for a few years, now I'm starting to hear something different at different RPMs. Sometimes around 1500 then again at 4500. Sometimes there sometimes not. No heat issues yet. Just thinking a bearing might be going bad. Last z axis crash was a couple of years ago. Less than a 700 hours spindle time.
So there's nothing actually wrong, but you're going to have it rebuilt anyway?

So how do you know nothing is wrong sitting at your computer? You can hear it through your browser ? You're such an expert you can diagnose bearings from a couple of sentences, that is impressive!

Actually, he did hear it. We all heard it. But it's clearly the owner squealing, if he'd just shut down the attitude he'd realize we're trying to help him.

On the spindle, it's not unusual to have a variety of noises at different speeds or loads as things start to go off. But unless there's a total failure of the lube system or a large lump of debris that's gotten into the bearings having a rapid decay to serious spindle failure is rare. Noise can go on for years without significant degradation of surface finish or accuracy. If the machine is cutting OK then it's likely safe to keep going.

Tell us what temperature the spindle housing runs at after a reasonable time at speed, if it's not hot to the touch where the nose bearings are it's probably still OK. Test for movement of the spindle when stopped while a tenths indicator is on the housing, with needle on the spindle. How far does it move when pressed or pulled with ~30lbs force? Does it always return to zero when load is released? Up and down too.

Another useful thing is to take a video of the machine with sound, running at different speeds and while the noise is at its worst. That's the sound we need to hear...

Spindle bearings can have odd noises, even new from the factory. Even phenolic races used in most angular contact bearings can rattle a bit. Pulleys and belts make noise. Some types of labyrinth seals can make noises.

If you don't have run out, chatter, heat, or excessive load you might be wasting money.

So how do you know nothing is wrong sitting at your computer? You can hear it through your browser ? You're such an expert you can diagnose bearings from a couple of sentences, that is impressive!
Touchy, god damn buttercup! You explained that you have no evidence there's anything wrong except noise. Therefore there is nothing wrong. But by all means spend your money if it makes you feel better.

For what it's worth, my VF spindle has sounded like shit for years with no effect on our parts.

We had a noisy spindle for a while. Mostly the belt, and it needed adjustment, then replacement. A year later the spindle (as a cartridge) had to be replaced. On a TM-1

Send it in for rebuilding, and join the long line of people who prematurely had their spindles rebuilt.

If I listened to every new noise my Fadal spindle makes I'd be rebuilding it every other week.

Back