What's new
What's new

Bad idea to start with

litlerob

Hot Rolled
Is there a way to use constant "milling" cutter comp? We need to do a bunch of hand work on some highly cosmetic parts and have a TRM available, so we want to polish these parts with a sewn polishing wheel on the TRM, but obviously it breaks down. Is there a way to comp the tool diameter from part to part, with out monitoring it, say -.01" for each part?

Robert

Not to nitpick.. But that is a TERRIBLE thread title...

You could have just used the first sentence of your post...

If you can still edit it, you should.. Thread might get locked...

You can't find anything useful doing a forum search, with such a vague thread title..

You can't find anything useful doing a forum search, with such a vague thread title..

Unless you just want to read about bad ideas.

The search tool for this forum is basically useless, and I was just trying to get people to pay attention, as this is a real issue. But you took the time to reply to a thread that has no relevance to you because of the title???? You should let Milacron know.

Robert, you'll likely get the slapping for the title, so I'll try to get this in quickly.
If you have macros, you might be able to read, adjust and then write back the offset value.
Problem I see will be how to keep track of it and how to re-set it to normal after the replacement.

Perhaps another possibility would be is to write your program with a local sub, where after each execution you change the offset# for the tool
and each offset# will have a slightly smaller value.
For example you have a tool that starts out @ .500 dia, you enter that in offset 5.
Then starting from offset# 20 and up, you put in .490, .480, .470 etc etc.
Each time you re-start the sub, you call it with a new D-value:

D05
M97 P1000
D20
M97 P1000
D21
M97 P1000
etc etc

N1000
G54
T5 M06
G00 G43 H05 S1000 M03
G00 G41 Xnn Ynn ( do not use any D value in the sub )
G00 G49 G53 Y0 Z0
M00 ( change your part and do whatever )
M99 ( loop back to main, where you change to a new D-value and restart the sub )

Bad idea to start with..

To get attention....??? Only reason I clicked on thread was to see why it had not been shut down yet...

Right up there in the Stickys on forum use... You should know the rules by now..

Milicron does not want, or need me, to be a thread Title nazi.

You want attention.. USE THE PROPER QUESTION...

I find the search function works fairly well, I have to play with search terms sometimes, but I DO NOT search for "Bad idea to start with" when looking up cutter wear compensation issues...

We need to know if you have macros enabled.

Also, if there's anybody like me that has no idea what TRM stands for: Tool Room Mill is my guess.

Yes tool room mill, macros are enabled, but I am limited in my macro programming, things like IF/THEN and GOTO isn't a problem, but advanced macro probably not. Is that the only way?

Robert, thanks guys

G10 is a possibility, except still no way to re-set to original when the tool is all worn.
Have no idea about what the G91 could accomplish tough....

(T20 H20 IS POLISHING TOOL)
M6 T20
G43 H20
#800=.01 (AMOUNT TO COMP EACH PART)

(POLISHING PROGRAM HERE)

G103 P1
#2220=[#2220-#800] (#2220 IS TOOL LENGTH WEAR COLUMN FOR T20)
G103
M30

This way it comps the tool each cycle start and you can see how much comp has been applied in the offsets page at a glance. You can also just set the length wear column to zero when the tool is changed to a new one. You also only have to change one block to experiment with different comp amounts per cycle.

Just have to use your imagination. There's a hundred ways to do this I'm sure.

Back