What's new
What's new

Haas thru-spindle coolant needs Haas tank?

ExistentialAngst

Aluminum
Awl --

I'm fixin to get their gantry mill GR-510, with TSC.
I would like to use the coolant tank/pump on my Fadal 3016L for both machines, but Haas is indicating that I should have the Haas coolant tank for TSC.

Note that the TSC for this machine is very low psi, like 25.
The centrifugal pump for the fadal flood coolant puts out almost 35 psi.
Couldn't I use that pump for the Haas TSC?

The Haas guys are saying that TSC uses its own "special" pump. I myself don't quite see what's so special about 25 psi.... :rolleyes5:

And even if it does have a special pump, couldn't I just plop it in the fadal tank?? Would the fadal tank need any mods for this?

Can anyone clarify what the real deal is, and why it is what it is?

Also, does TSC coolant replace the standard flood coolant, or is in addition to it? If TSC does have its own pump, AND it is in addition to std flood coolant, then there would be TWO pumps, correct?

Also, the fadal tank is a 35 gal, while the Haas tank is 95 gal (!!!), but I could proly enlarge the fadal tank, either directly, or with siphon-attached buckets or some other container, if I really needed more volume.

The Haas coolant tank for the GR510 is an odd (to me) 4 ft x 6 ft very low profile tank, and 4x6 is a lot of real estate in a cramped shop.

Thanks.

there is two pumps and I would not recomend trying to run off of the Fadal coolant tank. I have the 80 gallon and when I run flood and through at the same time my tank gets sucked dry. If anything I would want a bigger tank.

Cadcamwiz:

Good to know.

Could I make my own tank, or buy one?

Here are some calcs: 1 gal = 231 cu in.
35 gal Fadal tank = 4.6 cu ft, or about 1 x 1 x 4.5 ft (rough)

95 gal Haas tank = 12.6 cu ft, or about 4 x 6 x 1/2 ft (large footprint)

Could I put two buckets under the runoff troughs, and pump that into a more space-efficient tank, like 2 ft long, 2 ft wide, 3 foot tall tank? And put the pumps in that tank?

You could make one sure but remember the baffles to help keep chips out of the coolant. the TSC unit has a bag filter and a knit filter and even with the screens and baffles in the factory tank I have to change my filters once a month. And everytime the TSU runs dry you rics damage to the rotary union carbide disk. If it goes out its $1600.00 best I remember. also, if it seizes up and yanks the line loose it wipes out the Z axis encoder (A design flaw on Haases part) Ive seen it happen twice now. Oh, And that bag filter housing takes up a couple of square feet so thats something else to think about

Cadcamwiz:

The bag filter and its housing sound like a separate unit/option...
Haas lists an Auxiliary Coolant Filter System as on aption.... $1895. Is this what you are referring to?

Heh, my Fadal cooant tank is a mess. If TSC is indeed this persnickety, proly best not to use it then. Plus it's only 35 gal.

Back