What's new
What's new

Haas USB problem

Buchanman

Plastic
We have a 2011 VF2D mill that has started displaying an odd problem.

The guys write their own programs on their PC using Cam software and they each have their own memory stick for saving and transferring the programs to the controller.

This system has worked fine and we could swop memory sticks back and forth no problem.

This week we find that if a memory stick is inserted when the machine starts up or inserted after startup then the stick is read no problem. But if the original stick is removed and the other inserted then the controller will not read it. It recognises that the stick is inserted OK.

The only way to get the controller to recognise the second stick is to switch off and restart the mill but then it won't recognise the original stick.

New sticks have been bought and properly formatted to FAT32 but the problem is persisting. We will be contacting Haas as the machine is under warranty but I just wonder if we have changed a setting by mistake although I can't see anything that has changed.

We have a TL1 that we can swop the same sticks across at any time no problem, always recognised and read.

Anyone had this before?

Buchanman.

I believe it is a static charge problem. Before inserting your USB stick, stand on a rubber mat and/or ground yourself to the machine. Avoid putting the USB drive in/out of your pocket or rubbing it in a manner that would build up a static charge.

Try that and report back.

Good luck!

Thanks, haastec.

After touching the sticks on the face panel of the controller we can swop them back and forth no problem.
A USB hard-drive is now working perfectly as well!
A simple solution to a really annoying problem!

Thanks,
Buchanman.

Static charge... Scotland, could it be? Woolen Kilts have pockets?

That is an intresting issue, explains why we only experiance it in the winter here in Marys Land. :D

I found out three years ago during the winter when the humidity was low that putting the USB stick in could zap the control.
It even locked it up once. Ever since then, I touch the stainless control panel before inserting the USB stick.
Hasn't ever happened again.

Back