What's new
What's new

Haas VF-3 Won't start up

Milright

Plastic
I'm looking for some help troubleshooting the cause. The machine was sitting idle while I was setting up on another mill ten feet away, when I heard it beep(like when you press the power on button). When I looked at the screen it was blank and the monitor power light was on as well as the light inside the machine. I tried powering off then back on but it just does the same thing. I've checked the voltages everywhere I could think of everything seems to be getting power. my only guess is the one of the motherboards for the computing end.

May be the monitor took a dump?
Regards

Yep, this sounds reasonable.
Try pressing RESET or CANCEL and check if you hear any beeping.

Also, make sure you have all your low voltage power going to the Mocon, Video, and Processor pcb's (Upper Left; +/-12vdc & +5vdc.

Good luck!

Check all of the little white breaker switches in the back. Ive had this happen, and found one to be off, for what ever reason. Could be that simple. If you dont have these switches, depending on year, see if you have a fuse light on in the back. Haas used to use a ton of 10 and 20 amp glass fuses.

I tried to reset and power up restart first but got nothing no beeps or anything from control. So I checked for blown fuses ohmed them all all checked out. I also checked for power everywhere I could but everything checks good.

Swap monitors from one machine to another and see if the down machine comes back up...then you have a monitor issue. Mine have gone out like that. One minute they work then pOOF.....

One you pull the back of the control off it simply unplugs..

I also checked for power everywhere I could but everything checks good.

This is a bit vague. What did you check exactly? What were your readings?
In the electrical cabinet, what has power and what does not?
Do any of the pcb's have any lights on?
We need details and specifics in order to help?

I don't know your skill level with troubleshooting, but if this is over your head (not trying to insult), it may be time to call in a tech.

Last edited:
One minute they work then pOOF.....

I wish that I could switch monitors but the other machine is a 10/2014 and the one I have problems with is a 7/95.

The newer monitors will die quick...however since you now mention that the machine is a 1995 I doubt it is the monitor as those will slowly die/fade/get blurry...before they die normally.

I'd guess it is a board also...but you may need a tech at this point.

No offense taken, haastec. I don't have much experience with electrical problems, I mostly dealt with mechanical issues. I checked the main 3 phase incoming at the machine it's between 238-244 across legs. The main pcb on the low voltage 4.98-5.01 and 11.98-12 high voltage was 111-113v. The servo pcb has 111-113 going to it. The I/O pcb is the only one doesn't have any lights on as far as can see. I did change the I/O pcb last year after the chip conveyor circuit got fried. A tech isn't really an option.

I found that the CRT led and RUN led on the microprocessor pcb are not on. I am getting power to all three of those pcb's. Is there any other things to check for on the Video pcb and microprocessor pcb?

Back