What's new
What's new

Haas VF 50 vs 40 taper

adamm

Cast Iron
I'm shopping for a larger mill for my shop and have been looking at larger Haas VF mills from afar. There are a number of both CAT50 and CAT40 taper machines on the market. Performance wise, is there any difference in choosing either? That is, is the rest of the machine capable of exploiting the increased capacity of the bigger taper, or do you have to run it like a 40 taper machine anyway? I'm looking for either a VF5 or VF6

Thanks,

Adam

tool changes are much slower on a 50taper Haas compared to their 40 taper offerings. 50 tapers used to be limited to 5k. Maybe they are up to 8k now?
I've (barely) completed a 2 in wide x 2in deep cut in mild steel with a HSS corncobb rougher. quite impressive given the gauge length and low gear ability. High gear roughing was not that impressive in that you could peg the power meter with a .750 endmill.
haas is a great value in larger frame machines. In the 40x20 size; not so much.

FYI, i think there is a big casting jump between the VF5 and 6. VF5 is built on same castings as VF4 whereas the 6 jumps up to the next series. If you want to reach the table with a tool, there is a big daylight on the vf5.

Up until 2000 they were 5000rpm machines. They had 5000lb pull force...IIRC...or was it 3500lb of force. At any rate before 2000 the 50 tapers were like a 40 taper HT Fadal. ...reasonable performance. They go up quite a bit in RPM these days.

I wonder if they have the same castings (VF6/40 and VF6/50). I couldn't find the weight in the website, and the jump price is about $24K.

Back