What's new
What's new

Haas VF Control accuracy

friesen

Cast Iron
I have a 1996 haas vf with brushless servos. It is also supposed to have the 1000 blocks/second option, but I am a bit dubious. I did a bit of engraving the other day, and noticed that it didn't want to do real nice at 40IPM engraving. See attached photo, both were done with G187E.002 the top lettering was at 40IPM, and the bottom and 15IPM. Does this seem like a control limitation, or should I look elsewhere? The height on the lettering is right at 0.100"

Engraving.jpg

Tighten that G187E to .0001 and see if it chokes on the code. Make sure you've got as many G2's and G3's in there as possible. Other than that, the Haas' I've seen of that vintage all do this. There's a local shop that I sometimes program for that has a '96. Where I would HSM 4140 at 350IPM or whatever, I have to de-rate his stuff to around 150 AND leave more material on for finishing.

Using their calc's a 1" diameter hole at 100IPM will be actual 0.9921

Screenshot 2016-10-24 16.45.50.jpg

I can't attach xls files, so recreate it from this if you wish.

I don't know for sure if this applies to the newer controls or not.

Not an expert but from doing ball-bar checks on some retro fits that looks like you could have some servo mismatch. That is when 2 or more axis are programmed to go too a point and both are supposed to meet at the same time but one gets their a little quicker than the other and I would imagine the results could show it too be worse at a higher feed rate. Could be as simple as a servo tune up.

Not sure how much tune up can be done to brushless servo's. I wish haas service manuals had more information about tuning them though. I am a bit dubious of one size fits all PID and acceleration settings.

Back