What's new
What's new

Thoughts on the Hurco VM1

zosotd

Aluminum
Need a small machining center to mill mold & die components. I like the Hurco mill VM1. Does any one know if you can program it using Mastercam if you dont want to use the control to program with? What extra do you have to buy to use it like a Fanuc control? All comments welcome!

At the time, all you had to do was buy the G-code option and you could dump your post directly to the VM1. The new Winmax software may be shipping with the VM1 & others and it includes the G-code option. In addition, you can supposedly take a .dxf file and work with it directly in the conversational software as well. I've been looking seriously at the VM1 myself.

I got a quote on one a couple of weeks ago and it was about 49K delivered with a 10K spindle and the ability to import G code. There were a couple of other options in there like coolant and a control upgrade, but nothing really cool like a beer dispenser. I looked at a VM2 at the Austin show last week and it looked like a solid machine. What I have picked up on the Hurcos is that if you are doing a lot of shop floor programming/short run work, the premium that you pay for their control is worth it.

The one thing that makes me a little nervous about the new Hurcos (I have a 21 year old one that still runs great on its original control) is that they are basically PC based machines running Pentium 4s. I do network engineering as a day job and if I can get more than 3 years out of modern PC based servers and appliances without a failure I am pretty happy. Old equipment uses large die size chips and seems to last a long time. This new equipment with the ultra high speed small die sizes does not seem to last. That is my 2 cents from a different perspective.

If you are used to Mastercam and already have a seat, you should also look at the Fadal, Haas, and Sharp.

Zosotd,

As mentioned above, you just need to buy the (IIRC) $500.00 g-code option. Then you can program with whatever you want.

Doug
VMX24HT 06/11 :D

BTW,

I LOVE my Hurco, and would definitely advise you to buy one.
[But] you might want to really look at the sharp too.
There have been lots of really good things said lately about the Sharp....

Now I will go back to singing my Hurco's praises...... :D

Doug.

yes mastercam posts to the hurco, and yes the DXF option is very very VERY handy. all you do is send the dxf to the machine read the dxf push draw, bam! the dxf file sits in front of you the smae way it was on your pc, click what you want to mill or drill and when you push accept program is made for you. all you do is tell the prog what tool to use and away you go. you can move the x and y 0 in the dxf screen and do some slight mods to the dxf. just make sure all your points are joined. the winmax is supposed to have an even more better dxf option, but i havent seen it yet because the trasformer for my new vm3 just came in today, im itchen to play with her

The Winmax control comes standard with the ISNC (Fanuc 0 series G-code compatible) software. Mastercam can provide a post for the Hurco machine. As well, on older Hurcos, without the ISNC (formerly an option) Mastercam is also able to provide a post for the Hurco BNC (basic NC).

Surfcam, OneCNC, Mastercam, and just about any thing else will work, only thing is if you get over floppy disc size programs the RS232 port is an option, but the Ultinet network card makes life easier and lets you control, organize, and play with stuff on the machine drive from your desk. I don't know if they are giving this away with winmax, but on a new machine I would ask for it as a freebee to make the deal cause it is only a network card and the cost of that is nil, turning it on in the software is what they are charging for and it is fair, I did not mind paying for it, latter after the fact. Maybe they have the USB working now and you can use a memory stick to transfer stuff.

Scott,

When will the new software be available? (or is it already?) I would love you use my USB key on my VMX, but like Tim's it goes to nothing.

Thanks,

Doug

We got mastercam when I bought ours, works great. Didn't get the dxf option or any of the other stuff besides flood coolant, Light, pull studs and rigid tap. Oh yea, bigger memory. We haven't had any trouble with the RS232 and didn't get ultinet. (you don't miss it if you never had it) G-code is standard

Tumbleweed Tim, doug925 - the inoperable USB port on your machine indicates that the machine is such vintage that it is "upgrade ready" - that is, minimal hardware upgrade, primarily software upgrade. The USB is indeed non-functional if your machine is Ultimax/Max control. Machines ordered today can be delivered with the Ultimax OR Winmax control, customer choice. As of November 1 2007, only Winmax machines will be delivered, ad infinitum.

Scott,
Just call me weed, Tim, a-hole, whatever is easy and save yourself some key strokes.
Thanks for the reply. So upgrade to windows is in order for USB support. I would go for that if they can demo that the surfacing speed is worth the $.

Tim - elaborate, please, on surfacing speed. The Winmax control provides enhanced (600 block) look-ahead, and up to 2300 bps processing speed. As well, we have enhanced our motion control performance parameters - are you familiar with the AVC settings "Performance" v "Standard" v "Precision"? Ultimax has these 3 setting selections, versus a 1 to 100 scale (100 settings) on the Winmax, selected depending on your speed/surface finish requirements. Of course, these settings can be defined in your G-code program, as well as on the conversational side.

Yes I am familiar with the parameter settings. I talked to a Hurco tec guy about it and he gave me the info on what I should select. There were two things he had me change, I don’t remember the second one. If you program say 60IPM it seems to slow down after coming up a ramp for a moment to say 20 IPM before going back down into the cavity. Not bad but bugs me and increases cycle time. I have 600 look ahead I think. I don't think I have the faster processing speed. Of course none of this is observed unless doing 3D stuff.

our vm3 still isnt hooked up but i was about to crap a kitten on thursday the maintance guy pulled the cardboard off the controal and it has MAX on it that means its the old system right? i hate my penny penching company.

Back