What's new
What's new

Haas VF3 having depth control issue

ranchak

Cast Iron
I have a 2004 VF3, been making some parts. When running the second op I noticed that my chamfer is smaller than it should be. I messed around for awhile and can not see what changed or correct the problem. I figured oh well, go back to running more of the same parts first op. Same problem, chamfer is too small. I check the G54 offset, it's correct. Check the tool offset, it's correct. Install new chamfer tool, exact same problem. I check a few features on the part (a counterbore and the overall profile depth) they are also off. Three different tools appear to be off by 0.012" I'm the only one here, no crashes, the vises were not removed, the G54 offsets are correct, tool offsets are correct. The only thing I can think of (I sure hope I'm wrong) is the control is making a mistake when calculating the tool path? Any thoughts? I've called my HFO, but apparently today must be an extremely busy day for them. Really need to be making parts (no shit), I did check and the chamfer tool is coming down onto the part, but not to the correct depth.

I have a 2004 VF3, been making some parts. When running the second op I noticed that my chamfer is smaller than it should be. I messed around for awhile and can not see what changed or correct the problem. I figured oh well, go back to running more of the same parts first op. Same problem, chamfer is too small. I check the G54 offset, it's correct. Check the tool offset, it's correct. Install new chamfer tool, exact same problem. I check a few features on the part (a counterbore and the overall profile depth) they are also off. Three different tools appear to be off by 0.012" I'm the only one here, no crashes, the vises were not removed, the G54 offsets are correct, tool offsets are correct. The only thing I can think of (I sure hope I'm wrong) is the control is making a mistake when calculating the tool path? Any thoughts? I've called my HFO, but apparently today must be an extremely busy day for them. Really need to be making parts (no shit), I did check and the chamfer tool is coming down onto the part, but not to the correct depth.
how you set chamfer tool length offset?? often they have a flat tip so you cannot go by the end. sometimes just measure chamfer cut and adjust tool length offset til chamfer is better in size
sometimes same chamfer cutter type always needs a .005 or .010 adjustment to tool length comp. after awhile you remember the usual amount and just adjust it before using and then measure chamfer to see if correct

That doesn't explain the same tool running the same program, coming up with different results. Also that doesn't explain why 2 other tools are not cutting to the proper depths when they were earlier in the day.

Someone turn thermal growth offset settings up on you? I cant remember where they are but I know in winter when I start in the morning I can watch the Y axis move in one direction as every thing warms up, then stabilizes, usually only 0.005" at most though. I remember somewhere in settings there was a way to compensate for it.

You say 3 tools are off in Z, is that all the tools that cut measurable features in Z?

Something changed somewhere. Its a bit unclear from your description how you are doing your offsets, and how the tools are set up. If you go through things step by step, are the tools offsets still correct, the work z offset correct, etc?

Chamfers are finicky little bastards...

With a chamfer you have several variables playing with or against each other.

Top of part
Side wall
Tool angle
Tool Comp axis
Tool comp Height

If your measuring the flat of chamfer any of the variables changing by .001 shows more then .001 on your flat by that A squared + b squared = C squared formula with a 45 deg tool.

So If your part height is off a thou or two, the 2nd op has a square croner sitting in a endmilled soft jaw with a little edge break givign a small radius, part when locked in vise cants a hair...you can see quite a variation.

My answer to chamfers...start the run safe...that is comp it high and away...see what you have and bring it in to perfect.

Found the problem, feel like an idiot. I changed inserts on the face mill, different brand of inserts. Didn't touch off the face mill, ASSumed the offset would be the same. Nope, this where I was having the depth issue with the following tools. I always that indexable inserts were standardized.

Found the problem, feel like an idiot. I changed inserts on the face mill, different brand of inserts. Didn't touch off the face mill, ASSumed the offset would be the same. Nope, this where I was having the depth issue with the following tools. I always that indexable inserts were standardized.

Think your the first to make a dumb mistake by Assuming...or just a Dumb mistake in general? Well of course I never have, but know lots of people that have...and if you believe that I have a nice bridge to sell ya.

Glad you found, easy fix and have it behind you.

Back