What's new
What's new

Why would it take so long to get parts for a vf-1?

bellinoracing

Hot Rolled
There is a machine that I am interested in thats for sell from a business that buys and sells machinery. The machine is a 1990 Haas vf-1. I called them over a month ago on it and they said it was a good machine but it had some sort of problem with the x axis and they were waiting for parts. I keep calling to check in with them every week and a month later its the same story - they are waiting for parts to come in. One of the main things I liked about Haas machines is from what I have heard is they are suppose to be fast and easy to get parts for. But I am starting to have doubts if I even want to go and look at this machine. Why would it take so long? Could it be because of the machines age or the bad economy resulting in more parts being back ordered? Does this sound normal to anybody? Could the seller be trying patch up a pos machine with multiply problems as cheap as possible to sell me?

thanks

I am not sure what the problem is. I do know that our dealers each have over $1,000,000 in parts and can generally fix a machine on the same day. In the event that a part does need to ship from the factory 99% of the time it ships the same day. Our May same day shipment of parts was 99.36% (June number will be in next week).

The problem may be with the seller. Is it a Haas Dealer (HFO)?

I have some old machines and I probably account for the 1% or so of the non-1 day-fix's and stocked items Haas Apps mentioned. Even when I find myself with non stock items I have never had to wait more then a day or so to get the parts.

You know where the HFO outlet is for the seller...call the HFO and speak with the Service department, Sales department...owner of the HFO. I'm really thinking your seller may not be dealing with them. If you have the Serial number of the machine it couldn't hurt as they always seem to need that to know what machine is being dealt with.

Many parts are readily available or serviced from sources other then Haas directly...I had a servo motor go bad...called my Servo repair guy and he could rebuild the unit good as new...but for an additional two hundred bucks or so I could get a new motor from Haas with a guarantee and have it delivered the next day...

Think there may be more to what is going on then you are being told.

If you know what parts are needed you can even call the factory direct...that is if your HFO is not as helpfull as mine.

I talked to the seller today and he said they have replaced the entire x axis drive and they are still having problems with it. But they are going to let me know when they have it running. Should I still consider buying this machine or not? I kinda think I should shy away from this machine but if they keep working on it it may be mostly new parts. So should I give them more time and consider it?

thanks again

Find out who is doing the repairs also. Remember the seller is looking to spend as little as possible to get that thing sold; time and money. Are they doing a quality job with the repairs? As mentioned earlier, if you move forward, spend the money and have it checked out thouroughly by your HFO or you may even find a reputable independant technician that specializes in Haas machines.

This is not to say that this is a bad deal, but just do some extra due diligence is all.

Good luck.

Back