What's new
What's new

Haas Mill Floppy Code

Bosephos

Plastic
Hey guys, I'm planning on installing a floppy port onto my Haas MiniMill. Here's the problem, in order to do this I muct enable the control to accept the floppy. All I need is a code from Haas to plug in the machine's settings page. They want $500 for this code, and I was wondering if anyone knows this code or can look on their haas mill and provide this code. I would be very thankful to anyone who could provide any help at all. Thanks guys.

The code is not visble to the user. You might as well pay to get the code and be done with it. A decent job will pay for it in 1 day anyway. You'll never get ahead trying to get around paying for something that you are supposed to like software. You will sleep better too if you don't scam your way through life.

Yeh, well $500 for a code is crazy. The floppy drive only costs $17. And the haas tech said I could install it myself.

I detest floppy disks quite a bit.

For $500, you can buy a wireless ethernet to RS232 converter and a wireless enabled router to hook to your PC. Plus you'll be ready to DNC if the time comes.

Much faster transfer by ethernet/RS232 than fooling around trying and retrying floppy disks, IMO. Even modern PC's seem to have trouble writing properly and reliably to floppy disks.

+1 on a floppy not being worth the trouble to install. If you have to spend the $, is a USB port available so you can use thumb drives? HuFlungDung's suggestion sounds good, we have 3 DNC machines and 1 floppy machine and we sincerely wish it was 4 DNCs and no floppies.

I don't feel comfortable using wireless since it's an AM signal, and people say it's secure, but I don't think so. But the fact is that if you feel comfortable with it, by all means I hope things work for you.

I run an encrypted network, so at least it will take a deliberate attempt to 'break in'. So far as reliability of tranfer, I've yet to encounter a single misplaced byte in several million tranferred.

Floppies, OTOH, might work fine on small files, but seemed to exhibit more errors, the larger the file. Windows itself cannot transfer a 1 meg file to a floppy without dropping carriage return characters, the result being a file with 2 lines run on together as one. It takes several minutes to prove out a long file in graphics mode, only to discover where this kind of silly nonsense has occurred and fix it.

I no longer have to prove out every program, every time. Sure, I might do the graphics mode check on a file the first time the setup is run, to check that all travels and offsets are legal, but after that, when performing minor edits at the PC, I just re-download and run.

Bosephos,

You must realize that the range on you router won't leave the building in most cases. So security shouldn't be a problem. Who is going to deliberately steal your code. If in fact they did, they would have to have access to your PC and or your mill itself, which if you do not leave wide open to everything via windows file sharing than you should have no trouble, ever.

Husker

Guys!!!!
We are talking about wireless RS232 here!!!
Who cares about security issues? You ain't got any open ports on the RS232, at least very unlikely that any of you are.
The link between the PC and the HAAS is a simple handshake based file transfer!!!
Data corruption? GAR on this board can telly you a thing or two, but as far as I know it has built-in error checking. You can't say that about the floppy though.
Get rid of that thing and use RS232.

They want $500 for this code
Why?? Why should you pay $500. for a set of numbers? Its your machine, no? If they want that much $$ just to give you a set of numbers, might as well get yourself a RS232 set up...Its easier to use and don't have to worry about saving programs onto your control. If I knew the numbers you need I would give 'em up in an instant. I don't see how anybody can accuse me of copyright infringement over a set of numbers :confused: :confused:

I also detest floppies. DNC is the way to go.

"how anybody can accuse me of copyright infringement over a set of numbers"

That set of numbers is a license to use that feature. A license that is not purchased or transferred is not a license.

The code is probably tied to the machine number anyway.

Hey Hu,

What wireless RS232 solution do you use? I find a few on the web, some of them look a bit like a high school science experiment. I need to go RS232 to RS232, or at least USB to RS232, my DNC software being unaware of Enet.

Sorry for the hijack, but since it came up....

Swarf,

www.moxa.com
wireless NPort

It runs over ethernet, but so far as your PC is concerned, the Nport device appears to be another (virtual) COM port, so it appears to be RS232 to the PC, and the device on the machine presents itself as an RS232 device to the machine.

I guess the catch might be special DNC software that might not be Windows compatible, that is not able to recognise the virtual COM port. I've not had any trouble with OneCNC's communications using this device.

http://www.wcscnet.com/WirelessApplications.htm

http://www.wirefreecnc.com/applications.html

http://www.datalinkcom.net/

http://www.aerocomm.com/rf_data_modems/connexlink_radio_modem.htm

These are all straight RS232 - Wireless devices.
They are RS232 to wireless transcievers, nothing to do with Ethernet or anything else. Even old DOS programs won't know the difference. Some are plug and play by dip-switch address selections, while others (Aerocomm) are software configurable.
I only know about the Aerocomm directly as the transmitters, but the others links seem to be for complete integrated units.
Again, no need for anything additional than what you already have for software. PC don't know the difference, CNC don't know the difference.

Bosephos ,
My first two weeks in the cnc world I got a

New VFOE (with the $500 Floppy)

New computer

New Cad Cam system

None of witch I had ever seen in person before :eek:

(the good thing about not knowing any thing is you dont know that you should be scared out of your mind)

The single hardest learning curve I had was Floppy's...I would go back and forth, back and forth between the computer, machine, software...
Finally a friend stopped by and said "why are you using floppy's?? they are crap"
Got the 232 hooked up and never looked back...

Floppy's suck :mad:

The HAAS unlock codes are different for every machine. It is generated from a set of numbers on the parameter screen. I think these numbers on the parameter screen are even random.
Floppy drives suck. At some time you are probably going to want to DNC some large programs to it, so set up the RS232. Spend a little time setting it up and dialing it in and you will never look back.

Hu,

To give you and idea of how convoluted this can get: I am running OneCNC on Windows XP, running on a Parallels Virtual Machine, running on Macintosh OSX. The virtual machine environment does not support physical serial ports, so they get piped to a spool file, then picked up by a Macintosh side serial server program, though a USB to serial adapter (Macs haven't had serial ports for decades) and on to the machine. Surprisingly, it is quite reliable. So a serial port virtualization into an Enet adapter on Windows (which is already being emulated on the Mac) might work, or might not. The good news is that you can do a hell of a lot fakery between 9600 baud bits with a 2G dual core processor!

I think the simpler solutions Seymore references might work though. Thanks!

Back