What's new
What's new

Has anyone repaired the Haas Gearbox?

SIM

Titanium
Has anyone repaired a Haas VF- Gearbox? That pretty much sums up my question other then what is inside, anything overly sophisticated, or is it fairly simple so thats why they don't want you to open them up in the first place.

I am not sure why they don't want you inside it. Other than getting the motor gear engagement right when assembled I don't see much else that you can screw up. I fixed a bent shifting shaft in one with parts from another. There are only about a half dozen moving parts inside.

What is yours doing or not doing?

Mine was just making a racket.

I had them come down and diagnosis, said it was a bad gearbox.

I thought about doing the job myself, pull the box, open and try to figure the problem out here. I've been in enough boxs to feel confident I could get it going. I have spoke with someone who repaired them and said they where fairly straight forward, but cannot recall who or where. My guess a bad bearing and worn gears. But then the logical side saw I didn't have the time to work on it myself or keep the machine offline to gather parts, gears if they needed to be made etc. So I opted for a new and have installed. Ran the machine up to the night before they where supposed to get started. Figured I be back online the day after.

Now I am kicking myself as its offline for three days working on the 4th. If they don't get it going today with the weekend that will be 5, 6 and Monday makes 7 days down. Now I'm trying to see if I should kick myself harder for not going in myself.

That is tough.

It should be plug and play.

When I put one in myself it was just a day long job. I spent more time cleaning things than replacing things.

Are they having issues getting a new motor to work with an older drive?

Back