What's new
What's new

Help adjusting Y position after the 1st part is ran

jdmorgan

Plastic
Hi, I am pretty new to operating/setting up CNC machines. I run a HAAS VF 40. I tend to get a little confused when adjusting my Y after the first part has been ran. Can anyone explain this to me I work in a small shop. Im the only white guy with about 4 Mexican guys (great guys) and there is a bit of a communication barrier. I get that there is an imagined O with a +/- side. I believe toward the back is the - side and toward the front is the + side. Lets say I ran my first part and checked it. The part is supposed to have a hole directly in the middle of the part. After using my calipers I realize the hole is off a little. It seems to be a little more to the back of the machine. I know to get my reading on the caliper say it's .30 out of spec I would divide by 2 that would make the number .15 I guess my question is would I add or subtract the .15 to my work offset in the machine? If anyone happens to have any tips or internet resources to make this a little less confusing they would be greatly appreciated!

You would subtract the amount you want to move. The numbers displayed in the work offset register are the distance from machine zero. Example -20.000 - .02 = -20.020

Depends on the machine. On my Brother Speedio, "0" is at the back edge of the table, far right. Everything is negative from there. If the work offset is, say, -10.000, -5.000, and the hole is closer to the front edge by .015", then the Y offset is "too negative". To fix this, I would add +.015" to the Y offset (make the Y offset less negative).

It takes a few (dozen for me) iterations before this becomes 2nd nature.

Regards.

Thanks a lot man this is very helpful. The guys that I work with are great but there is a bit of a language barrier so instead of teaching me and explaining they just kinda do it for me and I want to do it myself lol

Thank you so much this is very helpful information I've been at it for about a month now and with the language barrier the guys in the shop tend to just want to do it for me instead of teach me. But I wanna do it myself lol

Graph paper with a big + drawn in the center.

Where lines intersect is zero.

Moving to the right of zero is a Positive movement, numbers go +1, +2, +3 etc
Moving to the left of Zero is negative movement, numbers go -1, -2, -3 etc

Go up the page numbers are positive +1, +2, +3
Go down the page they are negative -1, -2, -3 etc

Lay that paper on mills table.

Horizontal is the X axis.
Vertical is the Y axis.

The center where lines intersect is Zero...when you set the G54 offset to Zero imagine that graph paper is centered under the spindle.

Lets say you drill a hole that is supposed to be at X1.00, but when you measure location you see it was actually drilled at X.95

So we think about the graph paper and see we want the hole to move to the right...correct? On the graph paper moving away from Zero (center) to the right is a positive move...we have to enter a Positive .05 to the G54 X offset.

If the Hole was supposed to be at Y1.000 and after measuring we find it is actually Y1.05...

Lets look at graph paper. Hole is to far to up, we need to move it
down the page...down is a negative motion. We need to enter a -.05 for the Y G54 offset.

I do not look at which way the table moves, I consider G54 Offset to be zero on my graph paper...whichever way I want to move the feature is the number I enter...if I want to move it to the right...its X Positive. If I want to move up the page (towards the back of machine)...that is a Y+. Likewise if I want it to go to the left its X-.
Towards the bottom of page (towards me, the door) its Y- that gets entered.

Back