What's new
What's new

Help!! I got a alarm 119 over voltage this morning and now my machine wont turn on

ColdPlate

Aluminum
I started my '98 VF-1 this morning and received an alarm 119 Over Voltage. I turned the machine off and back on and still got the alarm then the machine just shutdown and wont turn back on. I ran the machine fine all day Saturday with no problems and today all of a sudden I get this alarm. Can someone suggest where to start looking for the problem.

Maybe slightly high line voltage early in the am before demand goes up.
What is your nominal voltage?
We have 208, and i seem to remember the tap we are on in our lathe is like 190-210v.
Not sure how much it would take to alarm out.
Maybe have your plant electrician check the voltage at the machine?
Good luck

I just went through this. That's the spindle regenerative braking resistor overheating. When you power it up, do you see smoke from the regen resistors on top of the electrical cabinet?

Chances are you need a spindle drive. I bought a rebuilt one from Precision Zone in Chicago. Figure $1,700.

Mine also failed on startup with no warning.

Could be a power supply as well. We were getting a couple random low/high voltage alarms and it was the power supply, this was a 2006-2009 'ish model.

I didn't see any smoke when I powered it up but I could hear a ticking sound briefly when I tried to clear the alarm. The machine shut itself down and wont turn back on. I might have to have a service tech out here because im already a little behind on my work.

Haas is going to rape you if you buy the spindle drive from them. Just a heads up. They wanted about $5000 plus the service charge.

The only time I ever saw the regen resistors smoke was when an IGBT went. I suspect it's something simple caused by the bad weather we had last night I'm a retired CNC tech who would more than enjoy taking a run to your place I'm in Bel Air .. about 70 mi away. If I can't fix it (that's almost not possible) No charge and I'll even buy you coffee

119 OVERVOLTAGE - Incoming line voltage is above maximum. The servos are turned off and the spindle, tool changer, and coolant pump stop. If this condition persists, an automatic shutdown begins after the interval specified by Parameter 296.

SMTC Recovery must be performed to clear the alarm.

Incorrect power or loss of power to MOCON can also cause this alarm. For office machines and all other machines that use the 320V power supply, Parameter 315 bit 8 (Mini power supply) needs to be set to 1.

First I want to thank Tom aka cncfixxer for coming to my shop to take a look at my machine. I am very gratefull for the help!!! After looking at the machine and getting Haas tech support we have concluded that my machine needs a new vector drive. Haas told me 3k just for the drive plus who know how many hours I will get charged for replacing it. I looked on ebay and there are companys with a listing to repair vector drives but there arent any listing for good working vector drives. Can anyone recommend a place for me to get a good one or a place that I can send mine for repair?

Thanks ewlsey sorry i guess I should have reread all the posts. I called them and the are sending me a quote to repair mine. Has anyone ever used Northern Machine tool services, Inc.? They were recommended on a different forum and im waiting for a call back from them. I just need to get this repaired and back to me asap so that why im checking a couple places. Northern says on their website they will ship a refurbished one and you just have to send yours back.

Long dead post, so not a hijack. :D(just keeping similar problems in similar threads)

did a power up restart today. machine moved to home and then alarms hit and machine turned itself off (with the count down timer).

123 spindle fault
119 overvoltage

Vector drive has the fault light on. Automatically a bad vector drive?

any keyboard-jockey want to diagnose?
Mocon board?
vector drive crapped out?

thanks in advance

Power it back up and watch the braking resistor on top. This is when happens with the braking circuit in the spindle drive shits the bed. It shorts the DC bus to the resistor. The machine will shut down when the temp sensor on the resistors goes off.

You can buy a new one from Haas or have yours rebuilt or repaired. I fix them, but it's not for the faint of heart...

Power it back up and watch the braking resistor on top. This is when happens with the braking circuit in the spindle drive shits the bed. It shorts the DC bus to the resistor. The machine will shut down when the temp sensor on the resistors goes off.

You can buy a new one from Haas or have yours rebuilt or repaired. I fix them, but it's not for the faint of heart...

hmm.. electric-stove resistor on top doesnt seem to be getting hot at all.
machine goes directly into the count-down mode once all the software boots.

.. just trying to not swap out the flux capacitor if the turbo entabulator is bad.

thanks for the response.

Well if it's not one it's probably the other. You can measure the DC bus voltage. It should be whatever your incoming voltage is times the square root of 3. Should be around 380V.

Well if it's not one it's probably the other. You can measure the DC bus voltage. It should be whatever your incoming voltage is times the square root of 3. Should be around 380V.

:bowdown:

The HFO tech mentioned something about a 330 volt something or other.
I'll have to figure out where to measure that,,,, then figure out what it means.
sorry, I'm seriously ignorant on all this. google here i come.

Vector Drive - Troubleshooting Guide | Customer Resource Center
some info

Sorry, too much Erdinger, I meant times the square root of 2, which is more like 310V. That Haas spec is probably correct.

Haas: 93-69-1 - CNC Repair & Sales

just talked to these guys. They made it pretty simple. If machine/vector drive is throwing these alarms and is getting proper input 220 power then the drive is bad.
these guys seem great. They will rebuild your drive and fix the "mistakes" that were manufactured in originally.

Did you measure the bus voltage?

Is this a Magnetek drive?

I tried to measure voltage on the vector drive terminals between 1,2&3 where #3 had "325vdc to servos" printed above it. but it didn't get anywhere near that voltage. I'm also confident i prolly didn't hold the probes on the correct terminals.

don't think this is the mid90's Magnetek. It's the Haas designed one that they contract out.

at any rate the drive is with UPS on it's way to Washington, to get the design "flaws" removed.:D

Back