What's new
What's new

Help with look ahead or HSM for late 90s VMC

viper

Titanium
We are really fighting problems with an older Haas not being able to see even one line ahead. If we get much over 100ipm with anything, it starts over shooting, gouging, etc. What a JOKE! They advertise these at 200ipm machines. Ha, maybe in a straight line. Is there a way either in the control or in programming to aid in this situation? Example is making a G02 helical bore or even just profiling a part. We were just profiling and there was a tiny radius at one point. At 100ipm, it totally just skips it. What a machine!!

I've been told it helps to not have any "N" lines in your program. That way it doesn't have to process that with the code that you actually need. Also hear there is a param or setting you can change to slow down the real time data reporting (X,Y,Z load, etc) that can help processing speed.

I think we had computers in the 70's that would smoke one of these.....Embarrassingly slow! I emailed a guy at Haas too. Hopefully I can find some answers for this old pig outside of buying a new one. I am sure Haas is happy to come visit and charge me 10K for better processing, but......

Yea your not kidding viper. Its pretty pathetic how slow these "modern" controls are compared to technology that is 15-20 years old! With the Haas... they just artificially slow down the processing speed to squeeze more money out of us for the HSM option. There is a definite difference and the limiting IPM seems to be about 90-100 depending on the code you're throwing at it. I have 200 hrs of free trial on my haas for the HSM. I've used it a few times and keep turning it off right after I use it hoping I still keep some time for future use. There is a big difference.

Back