What's new
What's new

Help! New Haas Bar Feeder.... Anyone here have a very recent 'new' one?

TileNook

Plastic
I'm having an issue with my bar feeder, and its something i think they have fixed (they would have had to, and the current pictures show something different), and i want the update because this version i have SUCKS! So... help needed :)

Thanks!

Yes, be more specific about your issue.

How much more specific could he possibly be?

He has already stated that it IS and Issue with his Bar Feeder that they fixed cause the pictures show something different and his version sucks.

To me, it sounds like the thing on the whatumacallit has the wrong dohicky preventing whatsitcalled from ya know.

So change that and should be good to go.

Your welcome...

Figure for a 1st post and this amount of time he's not coming back to take this the wrong way.

But if you did...call HFO or Haas, they are most helpful.

Thankfully, i actually am coming back to describe the thingamajig, and read y'alls smart-ass replies... <slow clap>

But the question i had still stands, and is absolutely appropriate... do you have one or don't you? I wanted to ask a question in private towards someone who does have one. That was a fairly complete question. I didn't feel the need to describe the actual issue. But, since obviously inquiring minds would like to know:

The issue i have is the new bar feeder slides forward and back on some "rails" ... its actually one V-rail on the right, and the other side is like a hardened wheel/ball bearing on no track at all... just a flat powder coated bar stock. My Harbor Freight drawers have better engineered sliders.

Now... when it comes forward to "lock" into place, the lock only engages ONE side of the tracks (the right)... if you push or pull on the bar feeder, it is VERY easy to mis-align it, resulting in a crash while feeding. This misalignment can come from just pulling on the wrong place while sliding the bar feeder forward, or if you just let it come forward itself, it can easily mis-align, requiring you to manually place a bar near the spindle in the feeder, and then push it around until it feeds without hitting the liner to the left or right (you can adjust it up and down obviously, and the alignment of the tracks doesn't change that).... and then hope that it doesn't fall out of alignment while feeding, or it'll crash a bar into the back of the liner.

When i first bought the bar feeder, the picture on the site is exactly what i have... you could clearly see the single silver lock pedal on the right of the base. The new picture they have up now on the site shows a gray pedal more towards the middle, and it looks as if the rail on the left has more to it... meaning some kind of positive lock on the left of the base, and not just on the right. As it is, the lock only keeps it from sliding back on the right... the forward motion is actually "stopped" by the two hydraulic gas-charged shocks that they install on either side of the base so that it tends to slide forward and backwards smoothly.

As for calling my HFO, they SAY that Haas hasn't changed anything, so there is nothing they can do. However, the image on the website clearly shows something different... an improvement over a failed design. This design is pretty much in "lemon" territory for me.

So what i was wanting, was to see if anyone had one that was recent, to take pictures of their base and locking mechanism so that i could see if there actually was an update... there must be, because Haas put a new picture of the bar feeder on the product page... Why would they update that picture if there was not an update to the base. You can clearly see that the pedal and base is much different than the ones in their original video showing how the bar feeder slides forwards and backwards, etc...

Like on this page:

http://www.haascnc.com/lathe_bar.asp?webID=BARFEEDER#gsc.tab=0

Compare the top picture with the gray pedal to the product pictures at the lower side of the page with the silver pedal... the silver pedal is what i have... the bar feeder is nowhere near "solid" when locked in the forward/feed position.

Thankfully, i actually am coming back to describe the thingamajig, and read y'alls smart-ass replies... <slow clap>

But the question i had still stands, and is absolutely appropriate... do you have one or don't you? I wanted to ask a question in private towards someone who does have one. That was a fairly complete question. I didn't feel the need to describe the actual issue. But, since obviously inquiring minds would like to know:

The reason this forum exists is to share information with all to aid in learning for all members. To ask someone to PM you with an answer to your undisclosed problem defeats its purpose. If you want that, you could call Haas with your issue and keep the answer to yourself.

Good luck getting the problem solved and if you get an answer that fixes it please post for us all.

Mike

/QUOTE]

Reading your reply does shine a new light on your question.

An important part of this forum is the process of learning from others mistakes and difficulties. Sometimes members help with direct answered other times point members in the right direction or offer an answer that sparks a solution.

That said, your Bar Feeder sounds like it has a major issue as described. I'd be on the horn with them for a fix...

I'd also figure a way to clamp that left leg. Maybe a bar behind the movable unlocked leg....like on a sliding patio door. Drop in place when running, pull up when you need to change over. I hate having to "fix" new machines, but in the end...I just need them to make good parts..so whatever works.

Good luck, keep us posted if you would...looking at new lathes again soon.

I have been using a new servo haas barfeed for just over a year and totaly agree, at 1st I thought it was because I hadn't adjusted the height correctly. It does appear to be a bit flimsy.
We ordered a new ST35Y with bar feed today but had to have a hydrafeed as HAAS bar feeds only go upto 3" bar dia capacity, why have a 4" through spindle then I ask ?
Hopefully it will be more sturdy than the HAAS barfeed.
Apart from that sideways movement though it has been a very good bit of kit.

Dont own one but just got a ST10 and was on the fence. A Friend from another shop has a few new ones and his comment was "they are slick but the old ones are more robust"

So between that and the price of used servo bars, Im looking for a small used old version.

Back