What's new
What's new

Help! Probe seems satified, but Z offset not correct.

u00mem9

Plastic
Hi Guys-

I'm very new at this, so bear with me. I have a <1yr old VF2 with the WIPS probe. After using the probe successfully several times, I am now suddenly having a problem setting a correct work offset via the probe for the Z. I'm using the single-surface probing routine. (I've tried both IPS and the offsets page with the same result)

In short, It returns a Z offset of ~-3.7 inch for my work which is roughly 5 in off the table. Since the table height is around ~-15 in, I should be getting something around -9 or -10 in.

I've tried a bunch of things, and nothing seems to get the correct value. It's very consistent, and the probe is happy with it's performance :). I verified that the problem is real by drilling a hole in mid-air :) Could there be a current command that is hiding there causing it to add the probe length or something. (probe length seems to approximate the error)

If there is any other info that would help, let me know
TIA
Matt

Hi Guys-

I'm very new at this, so bear with me. I have a <1yr old VF2 with the WIPS probe. After using the probe successfully several times, I am now suddenly having a problem setting a correct work offset via the probe for the Z. I'm using the single-surface probing routine. (I've tried both IPS and the offsets page with the same result)

In short, It returns a Z offset of ~-3.7 inch for my work which is roughly 5 in off the table. Since the table height is around ~-15 in, I should be getting something around -9 or -10 in.

I've tried a bunch of things, and nothing seems to get the correct value. It's very consistent, and the probe is happy with it's performance :). I verified that the problem is real by drilling a hole in mid-air :) Could there be a current command that is hiding there causing it to add the probe length or something. (probe length seems to approximate the error)

If there is any other info that would help, let me know
TIA
Matt

Any time you have issues with the probing system it is a good idea to recalibrate everything; spindle probe and tool setter.
That way you always have a good starting point for troubleshooting if you need to dig deeper.

Good luck!

A quick check can be to touch your probe off on the toolsetter, be sure to write down TLO of the probe first! FWIW I have a 2014 UMC, my length offset for the probe (I assume these will be pretty close since it is a factory installed option using the same tool body and probes?) is 5.4389. Model = OMP40-2

Thanks for the help guys! I'm not sure how, but the Tool offset value for the table was -5.xx. I'm sure user error was involved, although I'm not exactly sure how I managed that. In any event, per the suggestion, I have probed the probe with the tool setter, and everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks!
Matt

Thanks for the help guys! I'm not sure how, but the Tool offset value for the table was -5.xx. I'm sure user error was involved, although I'm not exactly sure how I managed that. In any event, per the suggestion, I have probed the probe with the tool setter, and everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks!
Matt

Better -5 than +5, eh?

Better -5 than +5, eh?

+1 and glad it was something simple.

I still recommend a full calibration from time to time. Depending on use, I have seen spindle probes develop runout and the tool setter is no longer flat. I have a dedicated calibration tool, so all it takes is a quick check with an indicator then run the calibration cycles. Goes real fast with a bit of practice.

+1 and glad it was something simple.

I still recommend a full calibration from time to time. Depending on use, I have seen spindle probes develop runout and the tool setter is no longer flat. I have a dedicated calibration tool, so all it takes is a quick check with an indicator then run the calibration cycles. Goes real fast with a bit of practice.

No question it's worth re-calibrating them on a regular basis. I've seen the shop morons wack the tool setter with a rake or a broom, and just twist it back up by eye and walk away.

Back