What's new
What's new

high speed machining

klemchuk

Aluminum
HI all;
I have a TM2P running a part with a cycle time of 1 hour 11 minutes and 31 seconds in the normal machine mode.
When I turn on high speed machining the cycle time increase by 30 seconds. This just seems wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
Thankss.

When programming a part with a high speed machine you use different cutting techniques and different tooling and programmed high feeds and RPM. Turning on HSM alters the cornering and step overs used in the cutting routines. If you take a normal program with normal techniques and turn on HSM all your doing is adding the cornering and step overs. To properly use HSM you must first program the part using high speed techniques and tooling. It's a different style of programming altogether.

My understanding of hsm is it looks ahead, knowing "what moves are next"
It calculates the optimum acceleration and deceleration for the upcoming moves.
If your taking big long straight passes it will not do anything.
If your making lots of short positioning moves or cornering moves it will eliminate those pesky pauses or moves where the controller retards the feed rate lots knowing it cannot make the corner.
Hsm toolpaths have lots of changing movement to maintain constant chip load

I'll post a YouTube vid of a sample someone else did. It shows how the option reduces controller hesitation while making lots of small movements .
If I remember in 2 weeks when I'm doing a run I'll make a vid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8UwjCxIlFZc

It really should be standard on all controllers now.

It really should be standard on all controllers now.

LOL...On a Haas nothing is standard anymore.

Even items that were standard are now pay up to play. Like rigid tapping on the Mini-Mill. It was an option when the mill first came out, then they played the big No Longer an Option tune...then when buying our new mini the salesman tells me its now optional again.

Thanks for the replies guys, you've clarified the situation so even I can understand it.
Thanks again really appreciate your input!

Back