What's new
What's new

Home made air blast

Mike Ortega

Aluminum
So I have a manual ball valve hooked to a tube clamped below my programmable coolant nozzle. It works great, but I'd ratherhave an m-code turn it on rather than putting in an M00 then getting up and turning it on. I was wondering what kind of relay and solenoid others have used to wire their own, and how it is wired. Thanks:D

Do you have the socket and wiring installed for the M code relay?

The M code simply closes a set of relay contacts which can directly switch a small 12 V solenoid valve. All you need is a 12 V supply with the solenoid valve wired in series with the relay.

The Haas manual does say if you are switching an inductive load a snubber diode should be used across the relay contacts.

I was sure that someone would have posted a link to a thread where a feller did this and even has vids posted on u tube. Guys outta Fla .... What's his name? :o

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yepper, Helicopter John is on here and CNCzone.

He and another guy have the same setup.

Kinda nice, especially for deep pocketing.

Yea, I saw his set-up on you-tube. Pretty awesome with all the timers and stuff. I'm just looking for technical instructions and parts. I'd like to use the same M-code and controls as the factory air-gun. I'll keep looking. thanks guys

Air Blast

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I missed this post. I have been kind of busy lately.

I have another setup like you are talking about. It is hooked up to a M Code relay. I think?? I have a 24 volt transformer that I had left over from a sprinkler timer. I bought a MAC Air valve dual port I think??? I use something like a M53 code to turn it on and a M63 code to turn it off. I can get the part numbers and stuff if you would like to make one. Of course you do so at your own risk.

I went a little further than that. I also have a Heinrich 5C air collet fixture and hook up one of the ports to each side of the valve to open and close the 5C collet fixture utilizing the same M code.

The secret is getting the correct air valve that will give you good flow and has the solenoid(s) voltage that match the transformer you are using.

If you send me an e-mail I will take a few pictures and send them to you. The wiring in the cabinet and the MAC air valve. I put standard quick disconnect air hose fittings on the end so if you are only using one port the other one will automatically be blocked if not in use. If you want air only on the M Code command just hook the air line up to one of the outlets and you are set to go.

E-mail me at [email protected]

HAAS is pretty protective on the schematics and wiring diagrams.

I originally wanted to hook up my programmable coolant/air nozzle via the terminals located in the HAAS control cabinet for the MOM (Minimum Oil Machining). HAAS would not give me the pin outs and what voltage was on each pin. You could program the frequency and duration of air blasts utilizing that function. I finally resorted to making my own setup with an external box.

Had a lot of fun figuring out this stuff with a LOT of help from friends here on this and other forums.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

John

I added a solenoid to my TM1 to turn the spray mister on and off. M52 turns it on and M62 turns it off. Go to MDI and key in M52 and press cycle start. Then go in the back box and on the left side there will be a red LED lit. Put one side of the solenoid there, then key in M62 and repeat the procesure with the other wire. Then replace M8 and M9 with M52 and M62.

Home Made Air Blast

Hi Steve,

What voltage solenoid did you utilize and where did you get your power from?

I plugged my step down transformer into the GFI outlet on the back of my HAAS TM-1P and routed the low voltage wires into the cabinet and hooked them up to the control board.

Also, the guy that helped me out at the MAC Air Valve dealer was real helpful in getting a high flow air valve that would allow a good volume of air flow. The first one I tried prior to visiting him didn't allow enough flow to get the air flow that I wanted.

I am going to try and take some photos or a video tomorrow to show you guys how I hooked up my system.

I will also forward it to those who have e-mailed me about my hookup.

John

Air Blast Video installation hookup

I put a little video together today on how I utilized the M23 relay on my HAAS TM-1P to actuate an air blast. I used M53 to turn on the air and M63 to turn it off. The video also discusses the hookup of a Heinrich 5C Air Collet fixture using the same M23 relay and associated M Codes to clamp and un-clamp it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zssH53f_7sA

Use at your own risk. I accept no liability for damage to your machine or yourself as it pertains to this installation. Also, be careful while in the HAAS Control Cabinet as it contains VERY HIGH DC voltages that can KILL you. If you are not sure of what items to avoid get assistance from a qualified electrician or appropriate technical support person.

Enjoy!

John

Back