What's new
What's new

How to "drip feed" a program into a 2001 VF3?

comp 670

Aluminum
Hi, I am extremely new to the cnc world and have a program that is too large to go on a floppy to load into my 2001 VF3. The cnc also would not have enough memory for the program even if the floppy was big enough. I'm told to "drip feed" the program to the cnc but I'm clueless on how this works. I did find two "serial ports" on the back of the VF3, do I use one of those? I also need to know what to buy for my computer to hook the cable up to.

I have a 2001 Haas VF3 with a floppy disk setup and a LG desktop computer that I run Gibbs 2016 with.

Could someone walk me thru how to set this up and what I will need to buy?

Please understand I suck at computers.. ( I know, pretty stupid to try and run a cnc with limited computer knowledge but I'm slowly learning)...

Do you have a manual? You really need to read the communications section, it is all in there. Much too complicated to write it all down here. Look on-line for RS232 cables and you'll find in in various lengths. You probably have a 9 pin port on your computer and the machine is 23 pin.

Once you have the cable, we can walk you through set-up.

I also believe a floppy will hold much less information that the memory of your machine. When you list your programs on the control, how much free memory does it say you have?

Oh, and yes you will use serial port #1 to send and receive programs and to run DNC (direct numerical control/ drip feed) from your computer.

More information---Mike

No, the machine did not have a manual when I got it. If I fill the floppy up (1.44MB) the machine will not accept it. It will only accept 1.0MB or less. And thats only if there are no programs at all in the machine.

I will go online and try and find a manual for sale. I think I can read them on the Haas site too.

Thanks for the help and info.

Agree, I think the manuals are on the Haas site.
I know some machines only had 1 meg memory, don't know about your particular machine. That might be why you can only get a 1 meg program in there. :)

You might need a serial to USB adapter. Many computers now only have USB, ethernet.
Depending on how much it's worth to get this set up and going, you might talk to one of the aftermarket people like Shop Floor Automations. In my experience their stuff always works, and they provide support. (no affiliation other than satisfied customer)
Should be pretty easy to set up (IIRC), although it's been several years since I did it.
The DNC button is pretty handy, and the settings are also very easy to access.

You do have a desktop, a com port card is less than ten bucks if I remember right off of eBay. Also get the usb adapter to com, but they are less reliable.

Not sure what kind of program you are running, but it seems very long. Look at how it is encoded by Gibbs. Is it using line segments or arc moves. If you use arc moves it will probable use half the memory and run much smoother. Unless this is a very complicated mold or something, it is way too long. What is it?

I tried to attach the manual, but too large for upload. Site needs to change that.

Try this link and it should work: https://diy.haascnc.com/sites/defau...rs_Manual_96-8000_Rev_C_English_June_2001.pdf

Mike

Dnc

In control setting you need to enable setting 55 ( DNC from MDI ).
Program is streamed to control in MDI.
You can't have any sub programs, external or internal M97 or M98.
Connect with a Null Modem cable, pin out is different than standard Modem RS-232 cable as two wires are crossed.
Configure RS-232 settings in control.
Get control ready to receive in MDI.
Send program from Gibbs.
Cycle Start !

I still to this day run a 1993 and 1995 VF since they was new, along with a new VF6SS.

had this come up a few times over the years, the best first solution is this: can the program be optimized to reduce the filesize? this is much, much preferable to feeding the program to the machine in real-time.

if not, then have at 'er ;)

Back