What's new
What's new

Broke stylus on Renishaw tool probe. Help.

mikeknell

Aluminum
I have a Haas mill with the Renishaw probing system. I have used it for over three years without any problems.

Today (Friday), shortly after 5:00 pm, I broke the thingy between the stylus and the tool setter probe. I'm pretty sure it is designed to break at this point for easy replacement.

The reason I broke it, is because I had set the feed override at 600% while machining some soft jaws using the joglock function.
When I went to measure a tool, it came down fast, and didn't stop quickly enough when it contacted the stylus.

I called Haas, but they close after 5:00 pm.

Does anybody have advice on fixing this? Should I call Haas (Selway) on Monday and order a new part, or should I call Haas (Selway), and ask them to install it and calibrate it?

I'm too dumb to run the machine without the tool probe, so I guess I'm gonna take the weekend off.

I had one break also, I think they called it a link break kit. I ordered 2 of them and installed it myself with no problems. I think if I remember correctly the book says to indicate the top with in .0002".

Did you purchase the machine new with the probe installed? I bought mine last year and I was looking in the book on how to replace it and it was talking about some tools that came with it from renishaw. I looked in the renishaw box and found the tools, which were just an allen wrench and some pins to hold the shaft. There was actually a link break kit in there. Had I know I would not have had to purchase one. If you purchased it new there may have been a spare with it.

I have a Haas mill with the Renishaw probing system. I have used it for over three years without any problems.

Today (Friday), shortly after 5:00 pm, I broke the thingy between the stylus and the tool setter probe. I'm pretty sure it is designed to break at this point for easy replacement.

The reason I broke it, is because I had set the feed override at 600% while machining some soft jaws using the joglock function.
When I went to measure a tool, it came down fast, and didn't stop quickly enough when it contacted the stylus.

I called Haas, but they close after 5:00 pm.

Does anybody have advice on fixing this? Should I call Haas (Selway) on Monday and order a new part, or should I call Haas (Selway), and ask them to install it and calibrate it?

I'm too dumb to run the machine without the tool probe, so I guess I'm gonna take the weekend off.

You will want a replacement break stem Renishaw P/N: A-5003-0661 which you can get through your dealer for about $25 last time I checked. Have your dealer confirm P/N please, most will keep these on hand. If you found your box, you may even have an extra with some of the tools that came with it, don't remember for certain.

Either way, it is an easy fix but you will need to recalibrate the tool setter when finished and possibly reset all tools. This will happen again in the future at some point so get an extra 1 or 2.

This is something you should definitely learn how to do. If you cannot figure out the instructions to do on your own, your dealer can definitely help and send someone out, but do the procedure yourself with the tech directing you. It will stick in your memory better. While you are at it, now is a good time to recalibrate the spindle probe. You will find that either one will become slightly out over time and/or use.

Good luck!

Was just surfing around on here and noticed your conversation. I see it's an old conversation, but just an FYI anyway.....I had a similar issue a few months ago, so I searched around and found a handy probe guard on ebay. I don't remember exactly what I typed in for my search though, it's been a while. It was something to do with Renishaw probe guard or reshishaw stylus protector or something. Anyway, hope that helps.

Back